Advice Please... Career in Insurance

Craigndem

Hello,

I'm looking to change career paths into insurance and I need advice. I have worked in sales since graduating from college in 2005. I have done all B2B sales, I have started a company, and now I'm back into sales and marketing. I need advice on a few things that I'm struggling with.

1. Going Captive, vs. Independent- Pros and Cons? Training, which one is better? I have looked at Federated, State Farm, FB ect. and some local independents (I'm in Michigan)

2. What is the best way to grow knowledge? I want to have the knowledge now, the $$$ will grow the faster my knowledge does. Will a captive position provide better knowledge out of the gates?

3.Can anyone recommend companies that have outstanding training, and career advancement Opportunity's? (I have some knowledge of the insurance industry through work for a restoration company and working with agents and claims reps)

4. What would be the best lines to focusing on first? Health, Life, P&C, etc. ?

Thanks for the advice,
Craigndem:idea:
</IMG>

Hi, my name is Guy Winstead and I'd like to talk with you about something (that based on your profile and post) you may not have considered - I'll be in the office for the next 2 days, would you give me a call and just listen to what I have to say? I think there is an opportunity for both of us. 800-826-6803 (8:30 - 4:30 CST). Look forward to talking to you. My Best, Guy Winstead

Hello,

I'm looking to change career paths into insurance and I need advice. I have worked in sales since graduating from college in 2005. I have done all B2B sales, I have started a company, and now I'm back into sales and marketing. I need advice on a few things that I'm struggling with.

1. Going Captive, vs. Independent- Pros and Cons? Training, which one is better? I have looked at Federated, State Farm, FB ect. and some local independents (I'm in Michigan)

2. What is the best way to grow knowledge? I want to have the knowledge now, the $$$ will grow the faster my knowledge does. Will a captive position provide better knowledge out of the gates?

3.Can anyone recommend companies that have outstanding training, and career advancement Opportunity's? (I have some knowledge of the insurance industry through work for a restoration company and working with agents and claims reps)

4. What would be the best lines to focusing on first? Health, Life, P&C, etc. ?

Thanks for the advice,
Craigndem:idea:
</IMG>

You need to read and study this forum until you start to have a better feel for this business. Once you narrow down what you want to do we will be better prepared to offer specific advice. If I were you I would talk to everybody I can and read as much of this forum as you can where it is meaningful. I would just start talking with every major company. You may want to seek out and join a local insurance organization.

I started my career for a captive and had pretty good training for personal lines and life/health. I worked there for 4 years before leaving and re-locating where I ended up working for a large commercial lines independent P&C agency. The training is more formal (classroom, textbook) with a captive and more hands-on (joint appointments etc) with an independent. The potential is most likely greater in the short and long term with an independent as long as you are with an independent that has good markets, knows commercial insurance and has time to train you.

Let me know if you want specifics/contacts on captives and independents in MI, I am also located in MI.

Back