American Family Insurance - Agency Owner Opportunity

mehsraja

Hi everyone, I made an account to post about this.

An opportunity has arisen for me through a family friend where some of his agents are retiring. His plan, rather than to disperse their books to surrounding agents, is to hire young professionals (such as myself possibly) to essentially train under them for 6-12 months and ultimately inherit their book of business upon retirement. To the inexperienced (me) this sounds like an incredible opportunity to jump start my career.

A little background, I am currently working in digital marketing for a small business. I had no intent of leaving this job prior to being approached about this opportunity. I am newly married, planning on starting a family soon. The earning potential sounds incredible (the average book for these retiring agents is valued around a quarter of a million dollars). I have a good deal of sales/marketing experience and some experience running a business with employees (college painting internship).

I've spoken with some existing agency owners and gotten their insights on the matter, but I want to throw it to you, Insurance Forums Community, to tell me why I should or shouldn't go down this path.

My biggest reservation is that I don't know what I don't know. What should I be concerned about?

What questions should I be asking to determine if this is the path I should go down?

What advice can you give?

I'll cut it there, because I am starting to ramble, but any and all responses would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

mehsraja

I don't have much to offer except that my mom left AF after an eon, she was making peanuts on a bajillion accounts that she inherited. It's a small town and tons of these people just come in to shoot the breeze and want to do everything in person, no online or calling in for anyone. Just a huge time suck. She even took out all the chairs in the front and built a really tall counter she would sit behind so they couldn't get comfortable and if she wanted them to sit and look at something, she could take them back to her office with chairs. Before she did that, they just funneled into her office and sat for ages.:D

Back