GI plan, leaving work insurance, for prospect with full Medicare since turning 65 but retiring 8 years later?

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
It seems that there mostly isn't a GI situation there unless the loss of coverage was involuntary. This is in Virginia, not a GI for all type of situation.

both A and B are in 2016. Humana broker support thinks they can get a GI Plan F but not G due to their age when they turned 65. I think they may be confusing the overall rules about F, not GI rules for leaving employer coverage.
Back to basics, a thing that I learned from in my first year of selling Medicare: GI information is in the Medicare publication: Choosing a Medigap Policy. the first or second listing mentions people who have A and B and lose employer coverage on plans "where Medicare pays first". Essentially when they work for an employer with 19 or fewer employees.
Which MAPD looks the most useful, at this point it probably is all there is.

Last edited:
It seems that there mostly isn't a GI situation there unless the loss of coverage was involuntary. This is in Virginia, not a GI for all type of situation.
UHC will give GI for voluntary loss of EGHP from active employment and retiree EGHP in Florida and other states-maybe all states.You have to submit letter of termination of coverage with application which can get tricky

My limited GI experience indicates carriers rarely, if ever, check to see in Medicare was primary or secondary when prior coverage is involved.

In my reading last night I found that losing health coverage on retirement is included in the involuntary loss of coverage definition. Also reassured by more than one carrier rep, letter, as you say, Bob.

Most of the GI situations I have done involve retiring/loss of EGH. A few were folks with MAPD that moved out of the service area.

I don't have any carriers that pay enough to warrant writing a GI app so I usually refer them to UHC and suggest they go direct.

both A and B are in 2016. Humana broker support thinks they can get a GI Plan F but not G due to their age when they turned 65. I think they may be confusing the overall rules about F, not GI rules for leaving employer coverage.
Back to basics, a thing that I learned from in my first year of selling Medicare: GI information is in the Medicare publication: Choosing a Medigap Policy. the first or second listing mentions people who have A and B and lose employer coverage on plans "where Medicare pays first". Essentially when they work for an employer with 19 or fewer employees.
Which MAPD looks the most useful, at this point it probably is all there is.
BCBSTX will do it, not sure if the state.

Back