Companies That Offer Broadform?

True named operator coverage is pretty hard to come by in WA. I haven't quoted it in years. The main reason being that it's usually way more expensive than just getting the insurance on the vehicles anyway. (Unless you're talking fleet commercial coverage in which case that's a different story) The reason is that they have no idea what kind of a vehicle the insured is going to jump in to. It could be a 1980s VW or it could be a brand new Ferrari, so essentially they rate it based on the assumption that you're going to drive the fastest most expensive car possible. It's a PIA to get a quote and any time I have the client has turned it down because it was WAY too expensive. So I haven't even bothered to keep track of what companies offer it. But it isn't any of the major ones.

Most of the people I have come across that think they have this coverage in fact have a non-owner policy because some agent that didn't know what the hell they were doing sold them one of these thinking it would insure them to drive any care. Which it sort of does except it can't be a vehicle they own or have regular access too. It's really only intended for people who require insurance to keep their license (they need an SR-22) but that do not own or have regular access to a car. If they own the car, or if they use it on a regular basis, they are not covered by this policy. Progressive is the main company I use for handling this when I actually have someone who needs it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It looks like Unitrin or Viking might offer what you're looking for.

Couple things to keep in mind though:

- It does not give coverage for the vehicle itself, so no comp or collision.
- Because it only covers the named driver, it does not cover anyone else to driver the vehicles. So if the person who buys this policy lends their vehicle to someone else they could be in big trouble if that person gets in an accident. They are legally responsible for any damage or injuries as the registered owner of the vehicle, but because they were not the driver at the time, this policy will not cover them.

Thank you for your response! Lots of great and helpful info. I have an interview/meeting with the marketing rep for Unitrin, so wish me luck! I can't ever get ahold of the Dairyland/Viking rep though....

True named operator coverage is pretty hard to come by in WA. I haven't quoted it in years. The main reason being that it's usually way more expensive than just getting the insurance on the vehicles anyway. (Unless you're talking fleet commercial coverage in which case that's a different story) The reason is that they have no idea what kind of a vehicle the insured is going to jump in to. It could be a 1980s VW or it could be a brand new Ferrari, so essentially they rate it based on the assumption that you're going to drive the fastest most expensive car possible. It's a PIA to get a quote and any time I have the client has turned it down because it was WAY too expensive. So I haven't even bothered to keep track of what companies offer it. But it isn't any of the major ones.

Most of the people I have come across that think they have this coverage in fact have a non-owner policy because some agent that didn't know what the hell they were doing sold them one of these thinking it would insure them to drive any care. Which it sort of does except it can't be a vehicle they own or have regular access too. It's really only intended for people who require insurance to keep their license (they need an SR-22) but that do not own or have regular access to a car. If they own the car, or if they use it on a regular basis, they are not covered by this policy. Progressive is the main company I use for handling this when I actually have someone who needs it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It looks like Unitrin or Viking might offer what you're looking for.

Couple things to keep in mind though:

- It does not give coverage for the vehicle itself, so no comp or collision.
- Because it only covers the named driver, it does not cover anyone else to driver the vehicles. So if the person who buys this policy lends their vehicle to someone else they could be in big trouble if that person gets in an accident. They are legally responsible for any damage or injuries as the registered owner of the vehicle, but because they were not the driver at the time, this policy will not cover them.

I have wrote two of these for people... I know you spoke of people writing policies they do not know about... but that's why i ask questions on here...

Any help clearing doubts I still might have about this... I have seen these have been very VERY low priced by the way...

1st doubt - Is it honestly like having liability coverage for any Auto you get into (Registration NEEDS to be not be in policy owners name right?)

2nd Doubt - Is the TITLE owner required to have coverage on this auto just in case/ and what if he doesn't?

3rd Doubt - What if he does have a vehicle registered in his name and he does not disclose this? (uses it regularly)

I honestly need help guys... I have asked my boss and they say yes to everything or tell me to read the contract...

Also I see of you guys bringing up a waiver to cover your ass if you write basic or broad form coverage... I see a agent write Full repair cost for 20K 30K and 40K all day and I am not sure how it works? help once more!

Again thanks for reading and helping me... The only way I can pay you is by thanking you and letting you know I read this forum constantly for questions and doubts...
Thank you again
21 year old engaged Hispanic Male Agent! :nah:

Back