A Guide to P&C for New Agents and New Agencies

Question...I'm looking to earn appointments. When I do, are they tied to me or my agency? Once I get some employees do they need their own appointments or can they sell under the agencies appointments that I secured? I'm a little confused on how these appointments work exactly.

When you start an agency the P&C carriers will appoint your agency. Your employees will work for your agency thus using your carriers. This is usually done with something called a sub code where the producers can log into the carriers quoting system under their own code so that everything they do gets tracked

When you start an agency the P&C carriers will appoint your agency. Your employees will work for your agency thus using your carriers. This is usually done with something called a sub code where the producers can log into the carriers quoting system under their own code so that everything they do gets tracked

What would you advise if your with an agent for over a month and they do not get you set up with sub codes?

Question...Do you need to purchase software to capture application information or do the carriers you get appointed with have software available that you can enter application information into? I've seen Accord forms and wasn't sure what agents use to submit application information with. Does this vary from carrier to carrier?

What would you advise if your with an agent for over a month and they do not get you set up with sub codes?

Hard to answer because it may not be the agents fault it may just be the carriers. If your allowed to login under your agents code, do so and track everything you do yourself. Maybe eventually you can have the stuff recoded to you.

Question...Do you need to purchase software to capture application information or do the carriers you get appointed with have software available that you can enter application information into? I've seen Accord forms and wasn't sure what agents use to submit application information with. Does this vary from carrier to carrier?

If the agent is directly appointed with a carrier you will most likely be able to do the quotes from their system. It is common when the agent goes through a wholesaler they would have to put together an accord form to get a quote

Hard to answer because it may not be the agents fault it may just be the carriers. If your allowed to login under your agents code, do so and track everything you do yourself. Maybe eventually you can have the stuff recoded to you.

If the agent is directly appointed with a carrier you will most likely be able to do the quotes from their system. It is common when the agent goes through a wholesaler they would have to put together an accord form to get a quote

I know for a fact she is appointed directly to Infinity, Progressive and Safeco and a couple other big agencies and I am assuming that they would offer such feature. She is yet to indicate to me if she will be providing me with any log in information. I am getting a little frustrated because all I am doing now is hunting client's for my self and turning the information into her and she would look up the policy without showing me anything. I am starting to get the feeling that I probably need to look elsewhere for help.

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know what a "comparative raters" is? I ran across this question when completing a survey questionnaire for an appointment today.

Goot, As the name implies, a comparative rater is a tool (PC-based or web-based) that compares the rates of many carriers...side-by-side...based on each carrier's particular rates and underwriting requirements and discounts, relative to the criteria of an individual risk.

It gives an agency the ability to compare the rates of several companies that write the same lines of business, typically personal lines auto and homeowners. Then the agency can discuss best options with the prospect.

There are quite a few vendors who provide comparative raters for agencies. Do a general internet search for 'comparative raters' and you will find them.

Back