Help Me

I got a question. Have any of you guys who keep slamming newbies for not using the search function used the search function lately? Do you know how many dozens of stupid crap and off topic junk us newbies have to read to get a simple answer to any question?

Yep... It is not easy. The best method I have found Is to google search. However, it really does not work most of the time. I am with you.... Looking back to previous post is not easy.

Yep... It is not easy. The best method I have found Is to google search. However, it really does not work most of the time. I am with you.... Looking back to previous post is not easy.

One of the best ways is to find a poster that you think gives good answers most of the time. Click on their name and choose find more posts by this user. Then start with their oldest posts and skim through those.

Makes for a little better reading when you just want to read in general.

For a specific question, google search is usually good.

Also keep in mind that many people write well and sound intelligent but really don't sell this stuff. It's very hard at first to tell the real deal from the helpful but misguided wanna bees.

This forum is a great place to open your mind to a LOT of information and sort it out in your own way and put it to use.

Yes. I use the search function (onsite and through google). Yes I wade through page after page after page of non relevant information to find that one valuable piece of information. I also wonder why so many of u don't realize that going so far off topic every time hinders the ability of newbies to find the answer they need from the search function. If everyone would just stay on topic and not post anything unless its relevant to the question asked, us newbies would be far better off.

Another factor is that all u experienced agents use so many abbreviations that a search doesn't bring back much good info. For example, a search for senior marketing solutions brings back a little but SMS brings back a lot more about senior marketing solutions and a load of other results unrelated to senior marketing solutions. I understand its easier to type SMS. But come on. How are newbies supposed to decipher your cryptic language?

I think a rating system would help newbies. Even a simple thumbs up or down would help. Maybe in time a way to filter at the search function for high rated content. Something like that would be very helpful. But What do I know. I'm just a newbie.

And yes. I know I just went FAR off topic from the newbies question. Lol! Maybe I better take my own advice and start a new thread. Something like how to use the search function. Or deciphering for newbies. Ha!

When I slam, I also encourage. My problem is that the OP often thinks my entire post is slamming them when in reality, the slamming is for 1-2 lines, then I expound and give good information.
But why slam them at all?

Last edited:
Yes. I use the search function (onsite and through google). Yes I wade through page after page after page of non relevant information to find that one valuable piece of information. I also wonder why so many of u don't realize that going so far off topic every time hinders the ability of newbies to find the answer they need from the search function. If everyone would just stay on topic and not post anything unless its relevant to the question asked, us newbies would be far better off.

Another factor is that all u experienced agents use so many abbreviations that a search doesn't bring back much good info. For example, a search for senior marketing solutions brings back a little but SMS brings back a lot more about senior marketing solutions and a load of other results unrelated to senior marketing solutions. I understand its easier to type SMS. But come on. How are newbies supposed to decipher your cryptic language?

I think a rating system would help newbies. Even a simple thumbs up or down would help. Maybe in time a way to filter at the search function for high rated content. Something like that would be very helpful. But What do I know. I'm just a newbie.

And yes. I know I just went FAR off topic from the newbies question. Lol! Maybe I better take my own advice and start a new thread. Something like how to use the search function. Or deciphering for newbies. Ha!

Strangely enough... we're discussing some ideas in the 1k post club about this very idea. However, it's just with some posters and not with the forum admin, so we'll see how far it goes.

----------

But why slam them at all?

It's called a 'pattern-interrupt'.

If someone expects to be coddled with everything and handed every single answer in life and business... that person shouldn't BE in this business.

Here - look at this post: http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...nce-company-reputation-t67454.html#post887997

Let me break it down for you:

You're brand new to the business. Observational statementYou still think this is about comparing products!

ROFL! Yep, I 'slammed' the poster here.

One day, you will discover something: You NEVER are in competition with product vs product. NEVER! This part is called teaching with emphasis.

If you THINK you are at that point... it's because the level of trust isn't there yet, and you didn't teach your client that price isn't the consideration, but the strategy.

It's agent/strategy vs agent/strategy. It's the mindset behind the recommendations... not "NYL vs NWM".

Once you get to that point... you'll realize that you can still make a "bad policy/bad company" sing and dance... and still sell a boatload of it.

Only amateurs try to find the "best" product/company/reputation as a primarily selling point. Yep - another little 'slam'... but it's also teaching and a 'wake up call' that the person doesn't know all there is. There's a whole new world and way of thinking that the poster has not yet discovered.

Oh, and if you're selling whole life because of "dividend performance" (as a quasi-investment)... then you STILL have more to learn. Another observational statement based on experience. And no, I'm not going to hand them everything.

So yeah, new people who make certain statements... need to be able to back up those statements, or be taught a 'new lesson' that the way they think, isn't necessarily the way things are.

Strangely enough... we're discussing some ideas in the 1k post club about this very idea. However, it's just with some posters and not with the forum admin, so we'll see how far it goes.

If someone expects to be coddled with everything and handed every single answer in life and business... that person shouldn't BE in this business.

There's something to be said about if you don't have a thick skin, you need to run away from the insurance business. But the slamming of newbies around here gets out of control, very quickly. An "experienced" forum person can use poor grammar, spelling, etc and no one says anything. A newbie does it and we get 5 pages of posts slamming them for it.

I actually do try and search for answers and if there isn't anything recent, I will PM the "expert" directly and have always gotten a quick, nice response. The SMS vs Senior Marketing search was a very valid point. If there was anyway the search function sorted on date, that would make the search function a much more viable option.

I heard about the thread on the 1000 post club on this topic. I'm hoping Sam will add a "Blue" thread at the top of the forum that says "Newbie's Read this First!"

The people coming here with questions are looking for a mentor via the forum. Which isn't very realistic, but you have to start somewhere....

Maybe, but I think there are too many people who do not want to work for anything. When I began to get interested in financial services I began to read everything that I could get my hands on about it (before I had internet access). When I began to actually look for a job and interview I had a good idea about what I was looking for and what "they were looking for."

I Agree X. Many think Insurance is an easy route, with or without education. Just get in and sell and get paid a bountiful commission. Many fail due to the easiness of getting into the business, mainly sold by greedy managers, who of course make bank off of ones selling abilities.

New to industry people really need to study this industry, the possible directions, this forum, be serious, then ask. But easy to ask this forum. You guys/gals have done well here.

I think you and the other experienced forum members have assisted quite a few, if not a flock, gang or small army of future insurance professionals.

Hats to you and many thanks,

Dave

I Agree X. Many think Insurance is an easy route, with or without education. Just get in and sell and get paid a bountiful commission. Many fail due to the easiness of getting into the business, mainly sold by greedy managers, who of course make bank off of ones selling abilities.

New to industry people really need to study this industry, the possible directions, this forum, be serious, then ask. But easy to ask this forum. You guys/gals have done well here.

I think you and the other experienced forum members have assisted quite a few, if not a flock, gang or small army of future insurance professionals.

Hats to you and many thanks,

Dave

Thanks for the kind words but I am only a wannabe with more knowledge than experience but I know enough to give good guidance to someone starting out. However, I am a very experience business person in general. What drives me crazy is newcomers who from their initial posts indicate they have put zero preparation into this decision. They do not come on here asking specific questions such as what is the best lead source or what is a good phone script to use if cold calling a list about life insurance. They come on this forum with things like. I got my insurance license now what do I do and we have three posters asking that same question in a 5 day span.

Back