Here's My Plan. Thoughts?

vegaskid

I've been teaching for ten years but I'm ready for a change. During the rest of this school year, I'd like to transition to insurance. I get off every day by 3:30, so I have at least 20-30 late afternoon, evening, and Saturday hours that I can devote to this. I know how to get licensed, but after that, I don't know where to begin. If it were you, how would you proceed? Products to focus on? Who to contract with? How and whom to prospect? Any and all help is much appreciated.

For P&C not so easy. Best to go with a captive carrier for the first couple of years, at least. Training, guaranteed money, leads.

Dave

Know any insurance agents/brokers personally? I'd ask them first off. Who are you insured with now? I've had clients approach me about getting into the business many times over the past 20 years. I always do my best to point them in the right direction.

I've been teaching for ten years but I'm ready for a change. During the rest of this school year, I'd like to transition to insurance. I get off every day by 3:30, so I have at least 20-30 late afternoon, evening, and Saturday hours that I can devote to this. I know how to get licensed, but after that, I don't know where to begin. If it were you, how would you proceed? Products to focus on? Who to contract with? How and whom to prospect? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Medicare is also a good place to start, especially if teaching will be your "primary income."

Who are you teaching?

If kids then I would be trying to sell to their parents assuming you are at least in a middle class school.

You definitely won't part time P&C. That leaves Life or Supplemental as the best places to start. Lot's of great advice on FE here, not quite a simple as it's made to sound, but definitely an option. Downside, is it is definitely not for everyone. Selling in home life insurance to low income rural areas definitely requires a knack. Regular life, starting with your warm market as a semi captive is another option. That would be the New York Life's, Metlife's etc of the world. Research both and see which is the best fit for you.

FYI, you will not be popular if you start trying to sell life insurance at your work place. Might even be against policy. Better check that first.

Back