How is the Los Angeles/ Southern California Market?

Kidsgotheart, I acknowledged that his statement was somewhat helpful.NYL is a top reputable company which I know would help people really consider products. I have connection to a trainer at one of the offices. I'm not only interested in New York Life. If you know of a company that would be better for non-affluently connected newbies, I would love to hear more about that. I can't do much with stylized bits and pieces of what NOT to do though. If there are better companies for my situation, can you please point some out?

Lots of companies are great for starting out, but most vary wildly depending on who is your manager. You are the one who should be doing the interview, not the company. Training tops everything, the product does not really matter. Look till you find someone willing to train you, it will be worth it.

Bump.

Any update for the Socal LA market?

Its a pain and half to book more than 5 appts in a day in Los Angeles. Traffic will KILL you!

I live in Hollywood. Trying to find a good system.

Nope. Nothing new in the past 3 days.

Rick

Thanks Rick, lets see if we can get some intelligent converation about SoCal/Los Angeles Business!

To my understanding, Insurance sales in Los Angeles is MUCH different than Insurance sales in the rest of the country

In Los Angeles, you have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic all the time between appointments. Cold-Calling and Dialling is more difficult because people are not as nice or as friendly because they have just sat in traffic for 2 hours being honked at.

I personally feel Los Angeles is a huge untapped market, but it is difficult to tap into because of the nature of Los Angeles.

On top of all of that, there is also a HUGE Racial Demographic. People can be Asian speaking mandrain in one city, and 2 miles away everyone is spanish speaking Spanish. There is a Languange and Cultural barrier here.

Thanks Rick, lets see if we can get some intelligent converation about SoCal/Los Angeles Business! .

So lots of negatives. I sell MA plans to dual eligible. I drive from the San Fernando Valley to Lancaster against traffic. I also write business in other cities like Bakersfield and Fresno.

I also tend to schedule appoints in the LA basin on Saturdays when there is less traffic.

But mostly I sell Medicare supplements over the phone.

You never said what product you sell but all you did was write how difficult LA is for business.

Is that intelligent enough for you?

Rick

Thanks Rick, lets see if we can get some intelligent conversation about SoCal/Los Angeles Business!

To my understanding, Insurance sales in Los Angeles is MUCH different than Insurance sales in the rest of the country

In Los Angeles, you have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic all the time between appointments. Cold-Calling and Dialling is more difficult because people are not as nice or as friendly because they have just sat in traffic for 2 hours being honked at.

I personally feel Los Angeles is a huge untapped market, but it is difficult to tap into because of the nature of Los Angeles.

First, your enthusiasm for this "untapped market" is a little misplaced. This market is JADED and extremely sales resistant. Everyone is trying to sell everything to everyone else.

If you're going to be in a NYL-type career, then YOU are going to have to be different. My suggestion is to focus on being more sincere and genuine... instead of trying to be slick or clever with how smart you think you are. Don't pitch your product. Instead, ask a series of structured questions to have an intelligent conversation as an advisor would do.

If you sound like a "typical rookie salesman"... saying the same old tired lines... you'll find limited success.

On top of all of that, there is also a HUGE Racial Demographic. People can be Asian speaking mandrain in one city, and 2 miles away everyone is spanish speaking Spanish. There is a Languange and Cultural barrier here.

The Los Angeles area has lots of pockets of ethicities. I was born & raised in Orange County... and despite that, I never learned to speak Spanish. Just realize that even if you're talking to someone and they're faking that they don't speak English... what they're really saying is that they're not interested, but they don't want to be rude to you. Just thank them for their time and move on to the next one.

BTW, I would work a small pocket within Los Angeles... not the entire county.

So lots of negatives. I sell MA plans to dual eligible. I drive from the San Fernando Valley to Lancaster against traffic. I also write business in other cities like Bakersfield and Fresno.

I also tend to schedule appoints in the LA basin on Saturdays when there is less traffic.

But mostly I sell Medicare supplements over the phone.

You never said what product you sell but all you did was write how difficult LA is for business.

Is that intelligent enough for you?

Rick

Rick,

Thanks that is a very intelligent and informative response! Thanks for the input. That is very smart to try to operate on Saturday's. I usually dial on Saturday but will work Appointments on Saturday into my schedule.

I am newish and still trying to find my niche/sweet spot. So far I have been focusing on Mortgage protection and Final Expense. Most people are Renters, but I feel I just need to find the right system that works in order to find prospects and make sales.

----------

First, your enthusiasm for this "untapped market" is a little misplaced. This market is JADED and extremely sales resistant. Everyone is trying to sell everything to everyone else.

If you're going to be in a NYL-type career, then YOU are going to have to be different. My suggestion is to focus on being more sincere and genuine... instead of trying to be slick or clever with how smart you think you are. Don't pitch your product. Instead, ask a series of structured questions to have an intelligent conversation as an advisor would do.

If you sound like a "typical rookie salesman"... saying the same old tired lines... you'll find limited success.

The Los Angeles area has lots of pockets of ethicities. I was born & raised in Orange County... and despite that, I never learned to speak Spanish. Just realize that even if you're talking to someone and they're faking that they don't speak English... what they're really saying is that they're not interested, but they don't want to be rude to you. Just thank them for their time and move on to the next one.

BTW, I would work a small pocket within Los Angeles... not the entire county.

Thanks DHK! Thats very insightful I agree its best to just be natural and informative. Those were some great tips you posted there, and many of us try to be "the wolf of wallstreet" with our sales and come off to slick or fancy pants.

It is a very Jaded market and people are resistent to sales and especially the telephone... Would you suggest any tips to get past this?

Thanks

You need to see the people. So, if people don't like the telephone... go see them and introduce yourself.

Look up JMATOS's thread on the door-to-door survey and adapt it for your target market and products. Don't wear a tie outside of the office. Don't wear anything 'baggy' or 'sagging'. (You know what I mean.) You need to look like a relaxed professional... not someone looking for trouble. Either a polo shirt/khaki's or a long-sleeve dress shirt/slacks... but no tie.

Thanks DHK! That is some of the best advice I have gotten. I looked up the thread and will read it after this.

I have heard Door knocking is good, but have yet to test it for myself.

Thanks!

There are other posts as well for NY Life. I believe most have said that business model of bother friends and family was successful 100 years ago but is it successful now? I almost opted for NY Life but held back and read and asked as many people about them. I have heard their underwriting takes long and there is no salary. Also it is 100% commission. Unless you have a stash of cash and a lot of wealthy friends and family....run as fast as you can.

Last edited:
Back