Insurance Agent vs. Insurance Broker

Obey what?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Due to the various and differing state licensing laws, insurance agent misuse and/or abuse of the terms, lack of enforcement and a generally uniformed public, it is understandable that the terms are often ambiguous. But ignorance of the law is no excuse for failure to obey.

Last edited:
The LAW, but you may prefer to comply instead.

Sorry, meant what law?

Poster is not licensed, just thinking about getting into the insurance field and wanted to know what the difference was between an agent and a broker. You advise him that ignorance of the law is no excuse for failure to obey. Is there a particular law pertaining to becoming an agent or a broker that someone thinking about getting licensed should be particularly aware of?

Sorry, meant what law?

Poster is not licensed, just thinking about getting into the insurance field and wanted to know what the difference was between an agent and a broker. You advise him that ignorance of the law is no excuse for failure to obey. Is there a particular law pertaining to becoming an agent or a broker that someone thinking about getting licensed should be particularly aware of?

Well cowboy this might be tough to understand--The insurance licensing law of the state in question.

Well cowboy this might be tough to understand--The insurance licensing law of the state in question.

LOL. I honestly thought I was missing something and was trying to understand what your warning was about but I see now that you are just a windbag who doesn't understand what you were saying either.

Due to the various and differing state licensing laws, insurance agent misuse and/or abuse of the terms, lack of enforcement and a generally uniformed public, it is understandable that the terms are often ambiguous. But ignorance of the law is no excuse for failure to obey.
eek.gif
or%20abuse%20of%20the%20terms,%20lack%20of%20enforcement%20and%20a%20generally%20uniformed%20public,%20it%20is%20understandable%20that%20the%20terms%20are%20often%20ambiguous.%20But%20ignorance%20of%20the%20law%20is%20no%20excuse%20for%20failure%20to%20obey.

Cowboy, if you read the topic, you might have noticed that there were posts that said there wasn't a difference between agents and brokers or if there was it was semantics. I pointed out that there are differences, depending upon state law. Perhaps you've been on the trail too long.

Last edited:
Cowboy, if you read the topic, you might have noticed that there were posts that said there wasn't a difference between agents and brokers or if there was it was semantics. I pointed out that there are differences, depending upon state law. Perhaps you've been on the trail too long.

Trail too long? Must be to think something you said had any substance. My bad. Thought I was missing something but I should have noticed it was the ramblings of a pretentious egomaniac. Wow, just look at your last post, your name appears in it 5 times. And "ignorance of the law is no excuse", such original words of wisdom. Can't get good stuff like that from Matlock reruns.

There may be legal distinctions, but for the most part the question is a bunch of "who shot john". It's like someone referring to himself as an insurance "consultant" versus insurance agent. Same work, but a percieved difference in prestige.

Yep. In Connecticut we have producer's licenses.

You can call yourself an agent, a broker or Barbara Eden. If you have a license to sell insurance in Connecticut you are a producer according to the insurance department.

Back