Looking for a Mentor in California Bay Area

GCast

Preferably somewhere in the Alameda County, but I'm willing to drive further if neccesary.

I guess the usual? They can be my upline and take a percentage of what I make while they train me. I assume that's how it work.

I guess the usual? They can be my upline and take a percentage of what I make while they train me. I assume that's how it work.

Are you planning on jumping ship after the training period?
That would be a losing proposition for the trainer.

No, I don't plan on leaving that soon. Not for a couple of years at least, and I'm not going to strike it on my own until I'm sure I can sell several lines. In the same vein, I just got an offer from New York Life. Would it be better to start off with them instead? They have a really good training program, but it seems that it depends on how good my local office is.

Last edited:
You won't lose anything but time by giving it a go with NYL and if you get good training in exchange for that it's probably a win. NYL has a great reputation and a reasonable portfolio, so those are all steps in the right direction.

I take it you're looking to do life insurance?

You won't lose anything but time by giving it a go with NYL and if you get good training in exchange for that it's probably a win. NYL has a great reputation and a reasonable portfolio, so those are all steps in the right direction.

I take it you're looking to do life insurance?

I second that. Finding a mentor is going to be very tough. Not much in it for them. As soon a a newbie _thinks_ they have it all figured out they will bail.

Depending on the office, I would take a NYL offer. I also understand they have good training.

I hope you have some savings or a working spouse. If not, you may want to rethink it.

Yes. I'm starting with life insurance. I do have a half a year of savings and still living with parents. I figured now is as good a time as any to start.

I'll check out the local office to see if it's good. What are the things I should look for?

I recently passed the Life and Health exam and I'm also looking for a mentor, either in the Sacramento area or Bay Area. I'm actually quite flexible with the location. Like the OP, I have a decent amount of savings (almost a years worth) so going without an income for a while, while not ideal, is okay.

There are a lot of shady outfits in this business. I just canceled a contract with Insphere and also turned down a second interview with Federal Financial Group (and got a nasty e-mail from them!).

I've got an interview with NYL coming up. Should I just interview with all the big companies and see which one is the best fit for me?

Back