My Title at the Office

Per my recent post/reply:

...my boss is approachable but he does not like bold approaches. He is very protective of his agency and his reputation. I am going to use the "make this look like it was his idea approach" on changing my title...

I am hoping this works. What you suggest?

Ariana

Ariana, my experience working in P&C offices are that the broker is normally chauvinistic, delegates all the work, protective of their book and have little regard for their producers and CSRs. Yours may be different.

I like your idea of making it seem as if it is his idea.
I am told I am a bit controlling also. I am not letting any Wolf into my hen house.

The whole title thing is more for you than the client. Most people are not going to read it. I would use Agent, smaller and leaves more room for your message line or for you to jot a note to the prospect. I do not even have a title on mine.

Just my 2 cents.

Lee

Last edited:
Ok, another question / conundrum I have is this:

I get paid renewal commissions now as my contract states but now he is wanting to change my contract so that I am receiving just the initial commission. I am still a little upset about that. So, the title of "agent" as suggested by another member won't fly.

When I was hired I was told that he wishes to grow his business such that he can hire a CSR to support me (and him) and I would become a "sub-agent" then he plans to start to "manage the agency" as opposed to selling - this will be a few years down the road. But he will be hiring a CSR soon to pick up the servicing because he has realized that I cannot sell with the time I have that is taken up by servicing.

He went to a seminar about managing agencies and he has purchased a program that has all managing aspects covered (employment forms, time management systems, etc.) One of the things it states is that no CSR gets renewal commissions they only receive a bonus or the initial commission for every policy that they write under the agreed upon conditions. I do not know the name of this program.

I wish I did, I would be doing my own research on it. It seems that he is just going to start implementing it. We as employees should have some background first, I feel.

So, my boss is approachable but he does not like bold approaches. He is very protective of his agency and his reputation. I am going to use the "make this look like it was his idea approach" on changing my title but not sure how to approach him on the other things. He basically told me that he was changing my contract whether I like or not....

Ariana

How are you being paid now?

I am on an hourly pay and then 40% commission split with the agency. Which I feel is fair.

Ariana

----------

I also have found out the name of the management program. It is the Freedom Through Systems program. Anyone familiar with this program?

Per my recent post/reply:

...my boss is approachable but he does not like bold approaches. He is very protective of his agency and his reputation. I am going to use the "make this look like it was his idea approach" on changing my title...

I am hoping this works. What you suggest?

Ariana

Start developing plan B for your future.

Start developing plan B for your future.
I appreciate all the input!

This is so frustrating because I have worked so hard to get where I'm at now and make the money I'm making - and on a side note - my boss likes to tell me how I'm one of the highest paid CSR's that he knows... ugh, right? Does anyone else get told that all the time? If he agreed to pay the wage that he did why should he remind me of it all the time??

Plan B, what would that even be?? I do not know where to go from here. I have done my homework and DO NOT want to become an captive agent. I've worked for captive agents for over 8 years and know the ins and outs and will not put myself through that.

Should I attempt to find another independent? I do not like the idea of changing jobs - again.

Ariana

I appreciate all the input!

This is so frustrating because I have worked so hard to get where I'm at now and make the money I'm making - and on a side note - my boss likes to tell me how I'm one of the highest paid CSR's that he knows... ugh, right? Does anyone else get told that all the time? If he agreed to pay the wage that he did why should he remind me of it all the time??

Plan B, what would that even be?? I do not know where to go from here. I have done my homework and DO NOT want to become an captive agent. I've worked for captive agents for over 8 years and know the ins and outs and will not put myself through that.

Should I attempt to find another independent? I do not like the idea of changing jobs - again.

Ariana

How did you get from changing the title on your business card to looking for another job?

You need to call a meeting with your boss and discuss what your goals are, and what role you hope to fill. Specifically, you need to talk about money.

From his point of view, I am sure that he appreciates what you bring to the table, but you are not bringing in enough of your own business to create a need for another CSR.

If you want to be a producer and not a CSR, you need to tell him point blank: you want to be paid higher commissions, take less hourly pay, and put "Agent" on your business card.

How did you get from changing the title on your business card to looking for another job?

You need to call a meeting with your boss and discuss what your goals are, and what role you hope to fill. Specifically, you need to talk about money.

From his point of view, I am sure that he appreciates what you bring to the table, but you are not bringing in enough of your own business to create a need for another CSR.

If you want to be a producer and not a CSR, you need to tell him point blank: you want to be paid higher commissions, take less hourly pay, and put "Agent" on your business card.

Plan B is for after this talk. Every agent should always have a plan B especially when working for another agent, agency, or company. If you don't have a Plan B and things go south you and your loved ones can be devastated. Plan B changes all of that. What is Plan B? You have to figure that out yourself.

Ariana,

The more I read the more I question. No employee likes a boss stating that an employee is at the high end of the pay scale. No Hunter wants a cap on his salary.

Either you are a hunter and you have been cooped up too long playing the role of a CSR or you are a Farmer by nature you thrive in that role.

The more I read the more I think you are a Farmer by nature.

I feel I've been cooped up as a CSR too long. Another note on my experience. I worked for a captive agent who logged about 9 hours per week in the office. So, I did EVERTYTHING. I WAS the agent. I just got paid CSR wages. I sold, I cross-sold, I serviced and I managed the office and part-time staff. His household count was around 1100. It was a very busy place and I was good at it, clients who were frustrated with the agent not contacting them himself started to comment that I should become an agent. So that is when I decided to pursue the change. I fear I have landed in a place that is hindering me....

I have not had an opportunity to become a "real sales rep" but I am already making sales, albeit my numbers are tiny but it is a step in the right direction if you ask me. I don't think the principal trusts me totally yet. He should by now.

So, I approached him today with the change on my cards and he basically just blew it off. "eh, what difference does it make?" "Just explain to the person you're talking to that you sell." .

I'm not sure how to take that. I still feel that the title or lack there of would not be for me but for the prospect. I find an alarming number of people who really don't know much about insurance.

This guy wants to be "blown away" by my abilities - his phrase. Then he should provide with the time, data and independence to do so. He freaks out when I say that I would go take photos of homes that I am quoting and states that he needs me in the office at all times. So am I a CSR or an agent??

Back