Question About Doing this Part Time and Schedule.

Call me old fashion but I think it is hard to serve clients properly doing it part time. Although i could see where it would be tough these days to quit a good job cold turkey, but sometimes necessity is the mother if invention. With that being said you will need to be available to sell from 3-7 these are prime times

Jason R Richardson LUTCF

Prob true. However I sell a fair amount of term life and med supps part time. Not sure P and C would be a good part time job.

Call me old fashion but I think it is hard to serve clients properly doing it part time. Although i could see where it would be tough these days to quit a good job cold turkey, but sometimes necessity is the mother if invention. With that being said you will need to be available to sell from 3-7 these are prime times

Jason R Richardson LUTCF

Hey Jason, there is where I get lucky. The agent I am producing for will be servicing the policies. I'll be writing them and bringing in the biz.

Someone else mentioned to learn from Farmers, then go indy. That is my thought exactly! Learn the ropes and open my own agency. I'd like to sell for Oregon Mutual, but they require 2 years of proven experience before they will appoint you. That's just one of the carriers I'd like.....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I agree with carroll and would prefer to sell life, but let me offer a different perspective. Depending on the climate (good economy, bad economy, rural area or not, etc.) I've always tried to offer not what I "wanted" to sell, but what was the best "foot-in-the-door" product to get in front of them then look for opportunities to cross sell other products. Just my two cents...

I completely agree with this. I plan on getting licensed to sell life and health eventually, but just wanted to become proficient in one thing first. I know the commissions aren't as well with p&c but I look at it this way...regardless of the economy, people need auto/homeowners, etc. That means that almost everyone is a prospect and it's a great foot in the door. I'm hoping to be able to cross-sell to these same clients once I get my l&h.

Last edited:
You can do it part-time, but the problem is that as you accumulate customers you'll be spending less time generating new business and more time servicing. In short...I agree with richink about P&C. L&H is doable...less servicing required.

Selling term life is a great part-time business....virtually no service work other than "service" letters-birthdays, holidays, etc.

Seems that a lot of people are supplementing their "real jobs" with life insurance jobs. It's a good second income that is true but please keep in mind that their are also some drawbacks. Paying for leads, E and O insurance, etc that you have to have in place. It takes a good agent about 2 or 3 years to really make a living at this business. Part time you're probably looking at 4 to 6 years.

Back