Questions About Mentoring

UnclePauly

First I would like to thank all of you who contribute their time and thoughts to these forums to help people like myself who are either new or considering a career change to insurance.

I have read through many of the "new agent" threads and feel like I have a much better understanding about the buisness and want to learn more.I feel like the best way for me to achieve that is through a mentor but havnt found much info on mentoring here.I have a gentleman in mind who I have known on a passing basis for a couple of years and who I have always known to be a kind and giving person.He owns a (seemingly) successful firm with one of the big name captive agencies.I feel like,from the little that I know about the buisness,that he would make a perfect mentor for me but am not sure how to approach him.I am in a decent position to support my family for as long as I need to(I make decent money and work nights) while I learn and start to generate income so I wouldnt need to make anything for as long as it takes to learn.

My goal would be to work with/under this person for a year or two part time while keeping my night job.I did this very thing years ago with Real Estate and it worked out great at the time.The market crash ultimatly put me out of the buisness and back to my hourly gig.I dont want to have to go through that again so would prefer the insurance route over going back into real estate as it seems a more stable industry.I do feel like the experience taught me what it takes to start in a 100% commision position.Ive also always been in sales/service related job paths and have always enjoyed working with the public.If I were to choose insurance,I know that it would be a career choice and not a get rich quick job but I do feel like I would excel at it.

My question is:what should I expect from this relationship,assuming he is even interested in being a mentor?What would be the incentive for him to take his time to teach me?What should I expect from him in return and finally,should I go ahead with the process of getting licensed before I approach him about this or would it be best to gauge his interest first?

Thank you in advance for any input and sorry for the long 1st post,I wanted to give as much information as neccesary.

Last edited:
My question is:what should I expect from this relationship,assuming he is even interested in being a mentor?

What would be the incentive for him to take his time to teach me?

What should I expect from him in return and finally,should I go ahead with the process of getting licensed before I approach him about this or would it be best to gauge his interest first?

I would study this link in detail.

https://www.mdrt.org/membership/mentoring/

Mentoring and coaching are very different from having a manager or business partner. Mentors and coaches are to GUIDE you and coach you... but you don't work FOR them.

The biggest thing is that you need to respect and want their approval. You don't want to have a coaching session where they asked you about your prospecting results... and you didn't do anything. The fact that you have these kinds of meetings should be good - to keep you on track for the activity you should be doing.

That... is the total basis for hiring a coach or seeking a mentor - to have someone's expectations for you set, and for you to strive to reach them before your next session.

Hope this helps some.

Yes that actually helps alot,thank you sir.I had the whole thing wrong and Im glad you cleared that up before I talked to anybody.This site,and people like yourself have been invaluable to me as I continue to research the industry.

Back