Questions to Ask Prospective Employers/Agencies

SmallFrey

Hi there! I'm about a week away from taking my state exam, and in the process of talking to local agencies. I have over 20 years of experience in sales and marketing, and they're all tripping over themselves to bring me into the fold. I'm getting a little cynical from all the over-the-top income promises I'm hearing. So that said... I am treating this like I'm interviewing them, not the other way around.

What are some questions I should be asking them? (commission amount, leads provided, etc - what am I not thinking of?)

What are things to look out for that are signs of a scam or bad company to work for?

Thank you all for your input!

There is no free lunch in this industry. Whatever incentives or guarantees they give you, they take it from your commission contract. If you want an hourly wage...your commission contract gets a ding. If you want leads, your commission contract gets a ding. Nothing is free. It always comes at a price.

1) With that said, what niche are you planning to focus on? Low Income? Middle-class? High Income? Business owners? Senior Market? Etc.....

2) What type of insurance products are you planning to sell?

3) Do you want to be an employee or do you want to be an independent agent? (W-2 vs 1099)?

Back