Starting a Home Based P and C Agency

I've been a captive agent for a while now and it is time for a change. I am considering opening up an independent agency from an office, but also had the idea about starting from home 1st to try and drive some business in 1st and then make the move. Has anyone had any success operating primarily a p and c agency from home? Which companies (I know progressive will) will appoint you from home (can show them a number of years of profitable business/production).

I'd love to hear from anyone that has done this as if it is possible, I think it is the way I would be leaning. Also do you use a po box as your address or do you use your home address?

Roenick27, Your best shot may be to try to join an agency network (cluster) that works with agencies that operate as you are proposing here. I can give you some thoughts if you want to reach me through my website below. Availability may depend on the State in which you are planning to set up your agency.

Thanks. I've decided to hold off for a little while because of the issues I ran into, but I appreciate the help
Roenick27, Your best shot may be to try to join an agency network (cluster) that works with agencies that operate as you are proposing here. I can give you some thoughts if you want to reach me through my website below. Availability may depend on the State in which you are planning to set up your agency.

Here, even Progressive is making me have an office, which makes it almost impossible to start. I've decided more and more that I did not want to be captive to a cluster, but it is getting more and more difficult to start an agency. I have to say I'm quite dissapointed by a lot of these carriers I've been a captive agent for about 4 years and have a total of 7-8 years of experience as well as previous business ownership outside of the insurance industry. Most of these carriers (the ones that will talk to you) take FOREVER to do anything. It's almost like they want you to be unemployed (leave a captive) for a few months before they will appoint you. For obvious reasons, I'm not sure I want to start an agency on that foot, especially a Progressive only (or maybe another carrier or 2). Some of the carriers have even told me they won't appoint me until Progressive does (this isn't a top tier carrier IMO, so then why should I steer business you're way instead of Progressive?). Regardless, a very frustrating experience on my end.

If you fave anything close to what I've faced, I would say choices now are:
-Stay captive
-Cluster
-Start with progressive only
-Leave insurance for a time and then apply while you are working outside of the industry( to me this makes no sense, but otherwise it's almost like you need to be prepared to sit on the bench unemployed for a few months-then dole out start up)

If I were you, I'd start with Progressive. They are a wonderful company to work with. They were my top company when I had my agency, most helpful (24/7 customer service) easiest to write with, etc.! When/if I do it again, and I may, Progressive will be my first appointment contact. I've been doing this for a longggg time. 10% commission may not sound too appealing to some people, but they are so easy to do business with, non demanding, well known, great claims service, and you have access to specialty markets too, even homeowners in some states and/or situations. I love Progressive. They really are my favorite company and I started writing with them in the 90s. No I don't profit from this love in anyway lol. I'm just being honest.

----------

Progressive even gave me a ton of promotional items - for free. When I first opened my business, I set up a booth at a local fair and was giving out Progressive balloons to the kids and magnets, buttons, and other goodies for whoever wanted them. It was a fantastic way to let people know a new agent was in town. I had a quote box and held a drawing for a $25 dollar Visa gift card that day and was able to generate 30-50 leads to get started.

Back