Off the Exchange ?

Gulfman

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi Friends...(i'm a newby, so go easy on me :)

Just picked up my Health/Life license and not working for anyone yet. (probably want to stay independent for now) and go PT until i know what i'm doing.

Anyway, sure would appreciate input from the experienced pros.

Here's my question(s)

If someone wants to buy insurance and they make too much money, to qualify for a subsidy...

• -is there a LIMITED time period to purchase health insurance....or can they purchase at anytime during the year? (in other words, is there a window period when they can purchase?)
  • -what are some of the better companies writing PPO's in Fla?

In my state there are about 10 carriers on the exchange, AND I CAN'T can't get a hold of any of the reps now (seems like they are on vacation or busy writing Obama Plans (dayum)

Appreciate any help you can give...thanks!

Thanks very much!

Open enrollment for health insurance is limited to the same time frame as on exchange plans. This year that runs until February 15th. The exceptions are when the individual has a qualifying life event.

You can sell non-qualified short-term medical plans to folks that want health insurance between open enrollment periods, they are a less expensive option but they have some drawbacks. (I have also heard some agents selling these plans to people that do not qualify for subsidies and do not want to pay the higher premiums for qualified health insurance plans. But they will pay the penalty for having an non-qualified plan. Personally, I would use this option very sparingly.)

I'm a noob here too!

Last edited:
Welcome to you both. I'm in AZ too, but also licensed in FL.

Yes, you can write OFF exchange for higher income clients.
Best PPO in FL is Assurant, but depends on the county.
Cigna would be next, and Blue last (too expensive)

Yes, limited open enrollment til Feb 15th, then only special enrollment period for remainder of year (loss of coverage, marriage, move to new state/county, etc)

next year open enrollment is from Oct 1st thru Dec 15th (no elections to avoid next year)

Welcome to you both. I'm in AZ too, but also licensed in FL.

Yes, you can write OFF exchange for higher income clients.
Best PPO in FL is Assurant, but depends on the county.
Cigna would be next, and Blue last (too expensive)

Yes, limited open enrollment til Feb 15th, then only special enrollment period for remainder of year (loss of coverage, marriage, move to new state/county, etc)

next year open enrollment is from Oct 1st thru Dec 15th (no elections to avoid next year)

By the way i am in Fl and non resident in Az.How is Meritus doing in AZ?

I just started enrolling some clients into Meritus. I'll admit, I was a bit worried, but in certain counties, it seems like a great, affordable choice. My one concern in my immediate part of the county, Meritus has not yet built a strong network, so I have been making sure when enrolling folks interested in that carrier to check the provider directory very carefully.

I am In Marion Cty, Florida. BCBS is the main player for this area, but in other areas Humana, assurant, etc are the main. So it just all depends on the Zip code/Cty.
I'm a newby at selling health also. Huge learning curve but it's been fun and challenging at same time :)

By the way i am in Fl and non resident in Az.How is Meritus doing in AZ?

Written a few. Problem is they have 6 different networks. Having problems matching up hospitals, especially if in SW PHX valley. I believe only one network has children's hospital in it, one is called the "neighborhood" network - you get the drift. I only like their PPO or Banner networks.

I am In Marion Cty, Florida. BCBS is the main player for this area, but in other areas Humana, assurant, etc are the main. So it just all depends on the Zip code/Cty. I'm a newby at selling health also. Huge learning curve but it's been fun and challenging at same time :)

So. That makes two of us formerly in final expense and currently switched to independent health. I'm glad to be here overall. Probably gonna stay. Nice to see Ya.. :)

-MillerLIFE

Back