ACA: Delays, Miscalculations & Failures Are Accelerating.

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
As of 7/8/2013, we're up to 15 admitted Obamacare Delays, Miscalculations, or flat out Failures..

"Last week, the Obama Administration attempted to spin its announcement of a one-year delay in Obamacare’s employer mandate as an effort to implement the law “in a careful, thoughtful manner.” Don’t be fooled. Even Democrats have admitted the law has turned into a massive “train wreck,” with delays, glitches, and problems aplenty. Here are a dozen Obamacare implementation failures..."

Story: 12 Ways in Which Obamacare Has Failed Thus Far

In addition to the 12 in the story, add:
13. Business Mandate: DELAYED
14. Income Verification: DELAYED
15. Current Employer Health Coverage Verification: DELAYED

I wonder what will be the final straw that triggers major legislative changes to the coverage, as described in this article?
Everyone now agrees: Obamacare can’t be implemented

As more are announced or uncovered, I'll add to this thread.
-ac

Last edited:
I just don't understand how UnitedHealth (UNH) stock hit an all time high today. Either I don't understand the law, or investors/analysts don't

So which is more expensive.......RomneyCare or Obamacare? Looks like MA is looking for waivers to escape the beast:
------------
Health Reform Weekly - Aetna Health Reform Connection
MASSACHUSETTS: The General Court (the legislature) of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has passed legislation requiring Governor Deval Patrick to seek a waiver from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) from the ACA’s rating rules set to take effect next year. HHS granted Massachusetts a temporary and partial phase-in of the rating rules earlier this year, but the move has not satisfied the Bay State’s small employer community. The ACA’s rating rules are more restrictive for some but not all of the factors than are Massachusetts’ requirements. Business groups such as the Associated Industries of Massachusetts (AIM) urged the legislature to require that the state seek a complete waiver from the federal rules. AIM has estimated that federal rating factors would increase premiums for 60 percent of small firms while others would receive reduced premiums. The bill is expected to be signed into law by Governor Patrick shortly.

Here are a dozen Obamacare implementation failures..."

Story: 12 Ways in Which Obamacare Has Failed Thus Far

Only 12 delays in the article? Hmmmm.... I count 21 repeals or delays or major revisions, without using subjective items that the article used like Exchange missed deadlines, medicaid expansion decision, and unintended consequences for child-only coverage.

1. 1099 provisions repealed
2. CLASS Act repealed
3. Discrimination Testing delayed until 2014
4. FBHPO BASIC plan delayed to 2015
5. Co-Op plans defunded
6. PCIP terminated early
7. SHOP multi-choice options delayed to 2015
8. Waivers, like for states and for employers with Mini-med plans
9. Cadillac tax delayed from 2013 to 2018
10. Contraception mandate delayed during legal battles
11. Early Retiree Insurance broke, after the $5 billion was used by 2011 (2 years ahead of schedule)
12. Employee free choice (vouchers) repealed April 2011
13. Clawbacks were altered when 1099 provision took away $22 billion in revenue
14. MAGI was redefined to include Social Security Benefits (for some calculations within PPACA)
15. Medicare Advantage Cuts rolled back 3/2013, and actually made into an increase rather than decrease
16. W-2 reporting delayed until 2013 for tax year 2012
17. Automatic enrollment for groups of 200+ delayed until 2015
18. Employer requirement to send notices about the exchange delayed in 2013 until further guidance was available
19. Employer Penalties delayed 7/1/2013
20. Income verification delayed 7/5/2013
21. ER insurance verification delayed 7/5/2013
22. EDIT: Added this one - Delay in Smoker charges because Exchange system cannot handle varying smoker surcharge rates – 7/2015

Last edited:
Let's be intellectually honest about this: the only part that will be implemented on-time and without fail is the subsidies. That is not dependent upon being able to pay for it.

Get them suckling at the teet and addicted, and there is no chance it will ever go away.

Ann, Number 14, do you know what calculations they use or what social security percentage is going to be calculated? This I don't understand or I guess I just have not read it anywhere.

And I just read about another delay that AllenChicago first mentioned right after the July 5th 606 page regulation dropped.

22. Delay in Smoker charges because Exchange system cannot handle varying smoker surcharge rates – 7/2015

BlueDiamond, originally MAGI for PPACA's subsidy calculation was supposed to modify AGI by adding back foreign income and tax exempt interest. Then, it was amended to include the non-taxable portion of Social Security benefits.

Note that MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) is not the same in all laws, and not the same in all provisions of PPACA. The MAGI mentioned above is for subsidy calculation. For the individual mandate penalty, the non-taxable amount of Social Security Benefits does not get added back. For the 8% unaffordability exemption, they add back required contributions to a pre-tax plan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back