Humana Will Compete for Our In-force Clients

Ann H

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
I attended a Humana webinar today for AZ. I know an agent who also attended another state's webinar, and they said the same thing in that webinar.

1. They are terminating non-grandfathered pre-ACA plans 12/31/2014 in our state, even though our state DOI allows them to continue them.

2. They already sent termination letters to our clients (about 10 days ago), didn't send us a copy of the notice, didn't send us an email first alerting us that they were doing this, didn't send us a list of those clients either. Gee thanks, Humana.

3. In the webinar today (and the other state's webinar earlier), they CLEARLY stated (repeatedly) that December 3rd they would begin "reaching out" to our clients who have current Humana coverage, in an effort to retain them. If they do, they will take the AOR from the broker. So, as they said, you have "about 3 weeks" to pick a plan for your client or we will call them. My calculation is 19 days (November 15th to December 3rd).

They reiterated the "December 3rd" date several times, that they will reach out to our client to retain them! They also sent an email yesterday with a "roadmap" that said the same thing.

They also said they plan to "send us a list soon" of our clients who received termination notices and who will subject to Humana competing for our clients and taking them by AOR! Gee thanks, Humana!

I attended a Humana webinar today for AZ. I know an agent who also attended another state's webinar, and they said the same thing in that webinar.

They reiterated the "December 3rd" date several times, that they will reach out to our client to retain them! They also sent an email yesterday with a "roadmap" that said the same thing.

They also said they plan to "send us a list soon" of our clients who received termination notices and who will subject to Humana competing for our clients and taking them by AOR! Gee thanks, Humana!

So Humana is going to send you a list of your clients, and then go after them to cut your commission out of the equation? Sounds like they're about to kick off a "In yo face! My the best man/lady win!" competition.

At least they had the decency to let you know, Ann. Aetna doesn't give any advance alert.
ac

"Mr. Client, Blue Cross has better plans, better prices, and a network as rich as Humana's options."

Client: "Yes, I agree. Let's take Blue Cross for 2015."

Blue Cross application completed.

Humana on 12/3/2014 calls that client and tries to "retain them" for Humana, all because they look on the Humana workbench or FFM and don't see a 2015 Humana option selected for that client.

BTW, it's not just clients who take another carrier. It's in-force Humana clients that procrastinate more than 19 days, and have not chosen a Humana plan option on the FFM or Humana's agent workbench by 12/3/2014.

If Humana does not reach the client, and neither do you, is that client then automatically ported to a 2015 Humana plan effective 1/1/2015? That's what BCBS of IL was going to do before being compelled not to cancel the Grandmothered block.

Ann, thanks for pointing this out.

I've already written emails to each of my Humana clients explaining how Humana is terminating their plans ever though they could have extended them.

I will now write another email letting them know about the unprofessional tactics being used by Humana to get rid of their long time agent.

I will also never write another piece of Humana business, period.

The nerve of them pulling this crap, screw 'em

Last edited:
This is a situation where the plan is being terminated........not auto converted to a new ACA plan. So, since we all know people never get or don't read their mail, or return our calls, I feel that the carrier is somewhat responsible for making an outreach call IMO. I'm sure it's legally required somewhere.

Now, they better first ask if the client has found a different alternative already, or heard from their agent, that they back off once they realize the client is aware of the termination. But we all know these call centers are never trained being sympathetic to agents.

Humana is stupid for not auto converting them. They would have better retention that way than the way they are doing it.

If they were being responsible by contacting the client, in a "we care that you don't go without coverage" sort of way, then they would not be taking the case AOR. If Humana wants to hire employees to "reach out" to the client, that's great. Good customer service. Supportive of the client and agent alike. No need to take an AOR.

But taking an agent's commission, especially when they know agents are swamped with terminations and changes is not agent supportive. Heck, even healthcare.gov isn't trying that!

They could have "mapped" the client to an ACA plan (perserving the agent numbers), but they chose direct termination and re-enrollment.

This method was a choice, and I think it will backfire as agents build distrust for Humana.

I asked about mapping several months ago and was told that H would protect the broker.

Guess they got religion in the interim and changed their mind.

Back