STC Sales to Surge on ACA Repeal?

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
An NPR article today (link below) predicts a spike in STC plan sales if the individual mandate gets dropped as part of ACA repeal/replace.

A few stats from the article:

• In the fourth quarter of 2016, the average monthly premium a shopper would pay for a short-term plan sold through eHealth.com was $124, compared with $393 for someone who bought a regular Obamacare plan and didn't qualify for premium subsidies.

• Short-term plans serve a tiny but growing proportion of the roughly 22 million people who have coverage on the individual market. At the end of 2013, before the health law's major reforms took effect, there were approximately 108,800 people covered by these policies, which earned premiums of $97.5 million, according to figures from the NAIC. Two years later, roughly 148,100 people had short-term plans and premium earnings have grown to $160.5 million.

• Some insurers have taken notice. Online health insurance vendor Health Insurance Innovations launched Agile Health Insurance in the spring of 2015 to focus on sales of short-term plans. In the third quarter 2016, Agile sold 21,000 short-term policies.

Reading this made me think back to a "first-ever" Short-Term Care program being added to this year’s Med Supp Summit this April in Dallas – by “popular demand” (second link).

Is the immediate future looking bright for STC market?

Short-Term Health Coverage: Popular, Inexpensive And Short On Safeguards : Shots - Health News : NPR

http://ifn.insurance-forums.net/medicare/first-ever-short-term-care-event-to-coincide-with-next-years-med-supp-summit-just-announced-for-april-in-dallas/

Last edited:
Sales may be bright but there are huge holes in coverage caused by coverage limits and the fact that renewal isn't guaranteed. I'd prefer raising the OOP and knowing my liability. UHC says STM can only be bought for short periods because of statutory changes beginning 4/1.

Brian, your links are for two entirely different types of coverage.

Link #1 addresses STM (short term medical), a weak substitute for true major medicare.

Link #2 is for STC (short term care), an alternative to long term care and is for nursing home care for short periods of time. From you Insurance Forum link

Short-term care insurance can provide benefits for home health care, assisted living facility care and skilled nursing home stays

Half hour video? You have way too much time on your hands. I just skimmed the link because of the apparent confusion in STM with STC.

Back