Claim Question Regarding Water Damage During Renovation

SF_DH

Hi all,

I would so appreciate your advice on negotiating an insurance claim.

I own a condo in a 6-unit, 3-story old San Francisco victorian building. We have building insurance coverage and individual homeowners coverage, all through State Farm. The story is a little complicated, so I will summarize:

- In December, a top floor unit's washing machine malfunctioned, causing nearly $100k worth of water damage to two units in the building, including one which I share a kitchen wall with, and to the common basement. The two damaged units' kitchens required gut remodels to address the damage. Our HOA CC&Rs stipulate that any incidents that cause damage to common areas be covered under the building's insurance, and the deductible ($5k) be paid from our HOA dues.

- Though my unit wasn't damaged, two weeks ago I began a gut remodel of my kitchen

- Last Thursday the SAME upstairs unit's dishwasher malfunctioned, spilling tons of water through the common wall. My open kitchen wall looked like a waterfall. I likely saved my two neighbor's nearly completed new kitchens, as the water gushed out of the open wall. The kitchen below mine is ruined, however, and will require a gut remodel.

- My kitchen did not sustain much real damage because it is an open construction zone. If my kitchen wall hadn't been opened for the remodel though, it almost certainly would have been ruined. Further, if my kitchen wall had been intact, the water probably would have run into my neighbors' new kitchen walls, requiring additional work that insurance would have to cover. As a result of the water, my renovation timeline has been extended by 1-2 weeks at least while everything dries out.

My question is whether I can make any insurance claim. I'm bummed that if I hadn't started this renovation 2 weeks ago, insurance would have covered at least some of the kitchen remodel costs.

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

You can file a claim for damage that actually occurred (cost for drying out your unit, if needed. Or any water damage you sustained)...not damage that would have occurred if you hadn't been in the process of remolding already. Insurance claims are to make you whole (bring you back to pre-loss condition)...they're not for you to profit from.

Unit owner's insurance is responsible for "paint in and flooring in." Meaning paint on the walls and flooring on the floors and anything else you can see while standing in your unit; cabinets, carpet, tile, etc. The condo association's insurance is responsible for everything behind the paint and flooring; drywall, foundations, pipes etc.

Others may argue who is responsible for what, but I am an independent field adjuster and have represented the carriers for both sides; unit owners and condo associations.

Back