Cancer Plans Payout Taxable?

HealthGuy

Guru
1000 Post Club
As a general rule (not looking for specific tax advice)...If a cancer policy (like the Humana supplemental cash cancer plan)..If such a policy is classified as a health insurance policy not a life policy as it is - is the cash payout typically then a taxable lump sum? I believe it is, but wanted a confirmation...I called Humana direct, they won't tell me because they "think they are giving me tax advice". I'm not looking for this, just a general tax rule in this case.

I know other CI policies, etc. that are classified as a "life insurance product" those cash payouts are typically not taxable.

Anybody want to chime in here?

As a general rule (not looking for specific tax advice)...If a cancer policy (like the Humana supplemental cash cancer plan)..If such a policy is classified as a health insurance policy not a life policy as it is - is the cash payout typically then a taxable lump sum? I believe it is, but wanted a confirmation...I called Humana direct, they won't tell me because they "think they are giving me tax advice". I'm not looking for this, just a general tax rule in this case.

I know other CI policies, etc. that are classified as a "life insurance product" those cash payouts are typically not taxable.

Anybody want to chime in here?

Cancer insurance payouts are health insurance benefits and as a general rule are not taxable as long as the insured pays the premium.

If the employer pays the premium, then the benefits could be considered taxable. (up for debate)

Even if it was taxable... aren't medical expenses about 7.5% AGI tax-deductibe? Wouldn't that offset any taxable implications of receiving insurance benefits?

(I could be wrong on this, but I don't think I am.)

Cancer insurance payouts are health insurance benefits

is not the same as

since its a health policy its payout not taxable,

Accelerated death benefits are, in effect, health benefits but may be taxable in some situations.

The cancer policies I have seen are indeed health insurance policies. But several of the CI plans I have seen are riders to a life policy . . . . which effectively changes the way the IRS perceives it.

I suppose if the carrier does not generate a 1099 the IRS will never know.

TaxMamas TaxQuips : TaxMama's Free Daily Tax Podcasts

is not the same as

Accelerated death benefits are, in effect, health benefits but may be taxable in some situations.

The cancer policies I have seen are indeed health insurance policies. But several of the CI plans I have seen are riders to a life policy . . . . which effectively changes the way the IRS perceives it.

I suppose if the carrier does not generate a 1099 the IRS will never know.

TaxMamas TaxQuips : TaxMama's Free Daily Tax Podcasts

Guess I wasn't very clear. I was addressing limited benefit cancer polices and not an accelerated benefit on a life policy which is an entirely different animal.

Not at all, just offering additional view points and embellishment.

Some life policies with LTCi benefits may also generate a taxable event.

Regardless, agents should be wary of offering what may be construed as legal or tax advice when presenting these plans.

Back