Is this an SEP

kstein

Guru
1000 Post Club
Client has a limited benefit plan from Standard Life. I thought I read somewhere that people can drop individual insurance at anytime this year and jump on to a subsidy plan.

My question is, if a person drops a limited benefit plan right now, is that a SEP?

I could swear I read somewhere that the govt allows people to voluntarily drop individual coverage or cobra this first year and get an Aca plan. In fact I had a few I've done this way that went through.

I could swear I read somewhere that the govt allows people to voluntarily drop individual coverage or cobra this first year and get an Aca plan. In fact I had a few I've done this way that went through.

I don't know how to respond without being critical. Dumbfounded is my initial reaction, then idiocy, then "OMG", then......go read healthcare.gov s.e.p. reasons and report back

Mr/Ms. Stein, you've already done a few illegal conversions and are now asking us if those incidences were OK, so you can put through yet another one? Seriously, are you CLAM, reincarnated as kstein?
:skeptical:

Here yah go.........in black and white:
https://www.healthcare.gov/how-can-...of-open-enrollment/special-enrollment-period/

Losing other health coverage—due to losing job-based coverage, the end of an individual policy plan year in 2014, COBRA expiration, aging off a parent’s plan, losing eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP, and similar circumstances. Important: Voluntarily ending coverage doesn’t qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period. Neither does losing coverage that doesn’t qualify as minimum essential coverage.

I understand the SEP rules and looking back at my "illegal" conversions, they were using the limited SEP that Obama allowed for COBRA conversions up until 7/1, which was a one time SEP and is no longer allowed.

Further, when a person has an individual non-ACA plan, they can switch to an ACA plan, along with subsidy assistance via HC.gov, on their renewal date. I should have included that in the original post.

Here is the response from Coventry:

Voluntarily dropping group insurance would not be considered a qualifying event. If someone is on an individual pre-ACA plan and they are renewing to an ACA plan, this is a qualifying event. I would recommend contacting the marketplace to verify, as they set the guidelines for what is/isn’t considered a qualifying event. They can be reached at 1-800-318-2596. Thanks

Finally, I reviewed the SEP post from hc.gov that yaagents posted. Thank you for that info. I was also referencing this document from hc.gov as well:

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-my-current-individual-plan-is-changing-or-not-being-offered/

I probably should have worded my inquiry better and I apologize for that.

C'mon on guys were only human here. Let's not make a Federal case out of everything, were all still learning the ropes.

Back