Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Insurance Agency Acquisition and Valuation Forum

Reply to Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!     
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Expert

State: Phillyinsuranceguy17 is an Insurance Agent from Pennsylvania
Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!
Hello all I am new to the forum so I apologize if I'm not doing it correctly. Basically I am a top medicare producer, have roughly 400 medicare clients with my FMO and have elected to take a partnership with a large firm to run their department. Because I'm captive I'm looking into selling my book of business and I must cancel my contracts. Any advise would be appreciated and also any legal information about the do's and don'ts would also help. Thank you all
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Super Genius

State: maalox is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! Re: Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!
Who pays your commission's the FMO or the carrier ?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Guru
tins on Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

State: tins is an Insurance Agent from Missouri
tins is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! Re: Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!
Originally Posted by Phillyinsuranceguy17 View Post
Hello all I am new to the forum so I apologize if I'm not doing it correctly. Basically I am a top medicare producer, have roughly 400 medicare clients with my FMO and have elected to take a partnership with a large firm to run their department. Because I'm captive I'm looking into selling my book of business and I must cancel my contracts. Any advise would be appreciated and also any legal information about the do's and don'ts would also help. Thank you all

If you're captive, it isn't your book of business to sell.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

State: Sgt. Taylor is an Insurance Agent from Alabama
Phillyinsuranceguy17:
I have some experience with this - last yearn I sold a block of Med Supp & LTC business to ACCESS Capital Group (based in Omaha, NE). They were good to work with and paid me a fair price. Their phone # is 1-800-560-2872. I would suggest calling them to see if they would be interested in making you an offer.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Expert

Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! Re: Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! Phillyinsuranceguy17 is the thread starter for: Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

Originally Posted by tins View Post
If you're captive, it isn't your book of business to sell.
no my new position I would be captive, I am not captive now!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Originally Posted by Sgt. Taylor View Post
Phillyinsuranceguy17:
I have some experience with this - last yearn I sold a block of Med Supp & LTC business to ACCESS Capital Group (based in Omaha, NE). They were good to work with and paid me a fair price. Their phone # is 1-800-560-2872. I would suggest calling them to see if they would be interested in making you an offer.
Thanks SGT Taylor much appreciated. Any legality issues that held up the sale of your book of business?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Originally Posted by maalox View Post
Who pays your commission's the FMO or the carrier ?
The FMO pays the commissions

Last edited by Phillyinsuranceguy17; 03-29-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Posts merged
Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Guru

State: Midlevel is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
This is a question I had also about what my wife would do with my block of business should I suddenly pass away. I have nothing in place for that. What would a person expect to get for an independent agency? I believe I've heard it is your annual commission x 1.5 or 2.0. Is that anywhere near correct?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Expert

Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! Re: Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! Phillyinsuranceguy17 is the thread starter for: Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

Originally Posted by Midlevel View Post
This is a question I had also about what my wife would do with my block of business should I suddenly pass away. I have nothing in place for that. What would a person expect to get for an independent agency? I believe I've heard it is your annual commission x 1.5 or 2.0. Is that anywhere near correct?
that what ive heard 2-2.5 times
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Guru
VolAgent on Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
That is going to pretty much destroy the value. I wouldn't trust the FMO to keep paying commissions. You'd have to roll it all to be safe.

You can pay the premium or you can own the loss.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Guru

State: sman is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
sman is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
That's likely a deal killer. If the commissions are assigned to the FMO, they would have to agree to sell the book. In all reality, it's not your book, it's theirs.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Guru
Josh on Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

State: Josh is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Josh is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
that what ive heard 2-2.5 times
Another question is what lines are the clients. If it's MA that's a hell of a bet.

The number your hearing is typically more of a P&C number which is a much more stable book and even at that no one in their right mind is usually paying much more than 2.

Why don't you transfer it to your wife's name and enjoy the renewals?

Maybe sell it to the FMO?

Telemarketing lists for $50/month
www.ListShack.com
Great for FE, Medicare, Auto, Homeowners, and more!
888-905-3282
Reply to Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Insurance Agency Acquisition and Valuation Forum

Tags
medicare