Check my Numbers: Cold Call for PC

Hey guys!

I'm a captive multi-line agent and registered representative with a regional carrier. I've been plugging away a year and now have an employee. My process is typically a good 1 hour opening appointment in a client's home with a focus on fact finding. The second appointment is almost always a PC presentation and a life presentation. If there is other stuff available (health, mutual funds, etc...) I'll go after that as well. I'll usually get those other things on annual review or open enrollment/AEP. Our product and process does not jive well with gathering info over the phone to quote at all.

So I'm trying to setup the cold-calling portion of my employee's time. I use Mojo Dialer and mostly ListShack data. Lately I've been using homeowners aged 60-70 just to get more contacts. The script is:
Hi, this is X with Y insurance in Z city. How are you doing today? We do auto, home and farm insurance and we're expanding in the area. With that, we've got some great rates. Would you be interested in having me swing out so you can take advantage of that?​

So far, these are my metrics that I'm basing things off of with what I've seen so far (dials per hour) and read (appointments per hour).
  • 100 dials per hour (triple line Mojo Dialer)
  • 1/2% appointment to dial rate
  • 1 appointment every 2 hours

I would love to have 5 opening appointments per work. I would really love to have 10. That would mean 10-20 hours of dialing per week.

Do you think someone can consistently dial 20 hours per week without wanting to blow their brains out? I'm thinking 5 hours per day, 4 days per week. We can only dial until 8:00. Are these numbers achievable if a bulk of those hours occur during the daytime?

Thanks in advance for the help folks.

You're asking the wrong question. You should be asking "Why am I only getting 1 appointment for every 200 dials?"

Your script sucks. Let me show you how and why it sucks.

Hi, this is X with Y insurance in Z city. How are you doing today?
Every sales amateur in the world says this... so you're automatically labeled as a salesman who has nothing of value to offer.

We do auto, home and farm insurance and we're expanding in the area.
"expanding in the area?" Really?

With that, we've got some great rates.
Yeah... says you.

Would you be interested in having me swing out so you can take advantage of that?
That sounds like a closing line. You don't even have a prospect yet.

So, let's build up a new script for your caller.

"Hello Mr/Mrs Jones? Hi, this is DHK with XYZ Insurance here in (city). Do you have a quick minute to talk?"

"Thank you. I promise I'll be brief. The reason I called is because we would like the opportunity to compete for your insurance business. Hawkmiles is an incredible agent who not only looks to compete for quality insurance coverage, but he also coordinates your insurance program with your assets and income to make sure you truly have the coverage you need and even addressing some additional financial planning issues."

"If I may, would you have any objection to him stopping by for about 15 minutes to introduce himself and his services... and then you can decide if it would make sense to go forward from there?"

When you arrive, you can do something like the VSA priority planning review. This should be a natural fit, plus, you aren't asking for a full hour commitment. After they complete the priority planning review, you can then determine if you and they think it makes sense for you to come back and do a fact-find.

http://fsonline.com/Simpler_Way.pdf

You're asking the wrong question. You should be asking "Why am I only getting 1 appointment for every 200 dials?"

Your script sucks. Let me show you how and why it sucks.

Every sales amateur in the world says this... so you're automatically labeled as a salesman who has nothing of value to offer.

"expanding in the area?" Really?

Yeah... says you.

That sounds like a closing line. You don't even have a prospect yet.

So, let's build up a new script for your caller.

"Hello Mr/Mrs Jones? Hi, this is DHK with XYZ Insurance here in (city). Do you have a quick minute to talk?"

"Thank you. I promise I'll be brief. The reason I called is because we would like the opportunity to compete for your insurance business. Hawkmiles is an incredible agent who not only looks to compete for quality insurance coverage, but he also coordinates your insurance program with your assets and income to make sure you truly have the coverage you need and even addressing some additional financial planning issues."

"If I may, would you have any objection to him stopping by for about 15 minutes to introduce himself and his services... and then you can decide if it would make sense to go forward from there?"

When you arrive, you can do something like the VSA priority planning review. This should be a natural fit, plus, you aren't asking for a full hour commitment. After they complete the priority planning review, you can then determine if you and they think it makes sense for you to come back and do a fact-find.

http://fsonline.com/Simpler_Way.pdf

Thank you! I'll happily take the advice and run with it.

The ones that decline a meeting today find out when the bulk of their renewals come up and set a call back. (at least the good ones)

They might not talk to you now but maybe later.

Back