Cold Calling Sucks - But It Works

You can disagree with it all you like, but a trick to get someone to answer the phone is just that, a trick designed to get someone to answer the phone. To call the guy dishonest and unethical on top of that is excessive.

I'm going to presume that you've violated some traffic laws, does that make you a criminal? I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that at some point in your life you probably have been less than truthful with someone, or as you might say, dishonest.

For the sake of discussion let's say it's dishonest for the guy to put grandson on his caller ID, just because he made one infraction doesn't make him a completely unethical and dishonest person. Heck, let's take that a step further, if you're calling him dishonest and unethical because he put "grandson" on the outbound caller ID, not only is he someone's grandson (he's not saying "your grandson" on the caller ID, so arguably he's being honest), but by you claiming his dishonest and unethical you're painting with an intentionally deceitful broad brush, which some might also say is dishonest and unethical.

You're welcome to disagree. No one says we have to agree.

Again, stuff like this is why cold calling gets harder every year. Most people don't like being tricked.

Just ask yourself this, how would you feel if someone called you and the caller id displayed information that was in direct conflict to who answered?

You can disagree with it all you like, but a trick to get someone to answer the phone is just that, a trick designed to get someone to answer the phone.

Nothing unethical with that. I'd say it's being light-hearted. He even said he introduces himself as soon as they answer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Again, stuff like this is why cold calling gets harder every year. Most people don't like being tricked.

Just ask yourself this, how would you feel if someone called you and the caller id displayed information that was in direct conflict to who answered?

True. I don't see it as being a big deal, but I can understand both sides.

Last edited:

I agree that people don't like to be tricked and I'm not advocating for it, but I think you're giving this guy too much of a hard time over what is at worst, a minor infraction.

I agree that people don't like to be tricked and I'm not advocating for it, but I think you're giving this guy too much of a hard time over what is at worst, a minor infraction.

So why not make it show that he's the DOI. After all, he's the insurance department for his company. Or whatever.

The fact he got so defensive about it says guilty conscious to me. He thought he'd get some pats on the back, and I called him out on it.

Best of luck to him. But if you are willing to bend the truth to start with a prospect, not likely it is going to get better from there. Usually it just goes downhill.

Sometimes you got to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

I've ran advertorials in newspapers that look exactly like newspaper articles. Down to the font and tone. I had one ad that would pull 5 to 1 every month I'd run it for 18 months, then closer to 20 to 1 calculating the lifetime value of the client. Of course it said "paid advertisement" at the top or bottom.

I could never do the same thing with your boilerplate "Me, me, me" ad. I'd breakeven if I was lucky.

Deceptive?

It would piss me off if I answered the phone expecting someone else. I agree with Vol here. It is very deceitful and is no better than an agent calling themselves an underwriter. I'm not saying I'm perfect and follow every rule but I wouldn't broadcast it or especially have something like that on my caller id...

If a company's name was "Medicare Solutins", or just something that starts with "Medicare", on some caller ID's only the "Medicare" portion might show up. That would make some seniors think it is actually Medicare calling them. They might answer because they think it is.

If the agency is aware of this, are they unetical?

Just a curious question; not meant to support or defend either side.

So most of the business, comes from leaving a message on someone answering machine. How many messages do you have to leave on avg, to get someone to call you back?

I always thought it was a waste of time to leave a message on an answering machine. Maybe you are on to something.

Also, can you tell us what message you leave on the machine.

Mark, I alwys leave a message on an answering machine or voice mail when calling a prospect or client. I figure I have 30 seconds to leave a commercial for my business, so why not?

It has been suggested to me that when leaving a message, you should make it into a "power message", with three basic elements:

1) Reason for calling tied into key issue (benefit to other clients)
2) Brief statement on how you are doing this (and how we can provide the same benefit to you)
3) Ask for call back/appointment

Entire message should not be more than 45 seconds....better if you can keep it to 30. At the same time, you want to talk slowly, conversational, not sound like a fast talking salesman. So, cut your script down if you're running long as opposed to talking faster.

Here's an example that I am using when calling aged life leads...

Hi (first name of prospect), Garrett Gosselink here, just calling to follow through on your request for term life insurance. Many of our clients elect to get all of their premiums back after the term of the policy. (first name), not only can we provide solutions for your life insurance needs, we can also provide you the opportunity to recover all of your premium dollars at the end of the policy term. This may provide you additional retirement dollars if needed. If you're interested in even more details, I can be reached at (XXX) XXX-XXXX. That's (XXX)XXX-XXXX. The coverage is excellent at an incredibly reasonable rate. Thankyouverymuch and haveaterrificday!

I can get to the phone number in about 30 seconds, and read the whole thing in 42 seconds.

I get a 1.5% call back rate on these messages. At the same time, I have noticed that if I leave the message and then call the person back later, and mention the message I left, it does warm up the call a bit. So the direct impact is minimal, but like any marketing, it can have a positive influence that combined with other touches can lead to an appointment and eventually, a sale!

Last edited:
Back