Cold Calling Sucks - But It Works

Mark, I alwys leave a message on an answering machine or voice mail when calling a prospect or client. I figure I have 30 seconds to leave a commercial for my business, so why not?

It has been suggested to me that when leaving a message, you should make it into a "power message", with three basic elements:

1) Reason for calling tied into key issue (benefit to other clients)
2) Brief statement on how you are doing this (and how we can provide the same benefit to you)
3) Ask for call back/appointment

Entire message should not be more than 45 seconds....better if you can keep it to 30. At the same time, you want to talk slowly, conversational, not sound like a fast talking salesman. So, cut your script down if you're running long as opposed to talking faster.

Here's an example that I am using when calling aged life leads...

Hi (first name of prospect), Garrett Gosselink here, just calling to follow through on your request for term life insurance. Many of our clients elect to get all of their premiums back after the term of the policy. (first name), not only can we provide solutions for your life insurance needs, we can also provide you the opportunity to recover all of your premium dollars at the end of the policy term. This may provide you additional retirement dollars if needed. If you're interested in even more details, I can be reached at (XXX) XXX-XXXX. That's (XXX)XXX-XXXX. The coverage is excellent at an incredibly reasonable rate. Thankyouverymuch and haveaterrificday!

I can get to the phone number in about 30 seconds, and read the whole thing in 42 seconds.

I get a 1.5% call back rate on these messages. At the same time, I have noticed that if I leave the message and then call the person back later, and mention the message I left, it does warm up the call a bit. So the direct impact is minimal, but like any marketing, it can have a positive influence that combined with other touches can lead to an appointment and eventually, a sale!

It is all about touches. I do commercial P&C and recently pick up a large manufacturing company that I have been calling and visiting 8-10 times a year for 8 years. He called me three weeks ago and said his longtime broker has semi retired and his daughter/office manager does not like the new account manager very much and likes me better. He signed over BOR's on 6 policies with a total annual premium of just over $400k with my standard carriers paying 15% + contingency. I am bringing in a friend to write the group health which is double that. Cold calling sucks and it is obviously much easier to get warm referrals but the only way to have a full pipeline is to cold call consistently and religiously build a huge database while staying in front of those people several times a year.

So most of the business, comes from leaving a message on someone answering machine. How many messages do you have to leave on avg, to get someone to call you back?

I always thought it was a waste of time to leave a message on an answering machine. Maybe you are on to something.

Also, can you tell us what message you leave on the machine.

Hey Mark,

I know an agent that dialed 4-5,000 outbound calls/week. He Prefers answering machines. His script is so basic yet it works for P&C.

"Hey Mark, this is Fred calling from Allstate Insurance. Allstate just lowered their home/auto rates in CA to their lowest rates ever! If you want to save money call Fred @ 314.555.1111. If you're happy with what you have...have a good day!" [it is slightly different than this but it has been over 5 years since I visited with him.] Dude was a top 5% producer for over 20+ years with Allstate. Most won't make the calls, but he & his staff....pretty incredible.

I'm a firm believer in leaving a message, but you MUST know what you are going to say before you get the answering machine.

Hope this can help someone.

Merry Christmas.

Hey Mark,

I know an agent that dialed 4-5,000 outbound calls/week. He Prefers answering machines. His script is so basic yet it works for P&C.

"Hey Mark, this is Fred calling from Allstate Insurance. Allstate just lowered their home/auto rates in CA to their lowest rates ever! If you want to save money call Fred @ 314.555.1111. If you're happy with what you have...have a good day!" [it is slightly different than this but it has been over 5 years since I visited with him.] Dude was a top 5% producer for over 20+ years with Allstate. Most won't make the calls, but he & his staff....pretty incredible.

I'm a firm believer in leaving a message, but you MUST know what you are going to say before you get the answering machine.

Hope this can help someone.

Merry Christmas.

I'm not a big fan of leaving messages but I can see where that may get pretty good results. However, the key to it is to make calls and tons of them.

You are right, most agents would not be willing to put in the time to make enough calls to make it successful. After a few hundred calls they will determine that it doesn't work and it is a waste of their valuable time.

There is one drawback to leaving messages....you can't make as many calls per hour. Before I was a believer in leaving messages, I could make 50-60 dials an hour. Now, when I take a minute to leave a message, I am down to about 35 dials an hour.

This, of course, is without using a power dialer.

I just use the auto message function that CallFire offers. As soon as the answering machine picks up, I hit the leave a message button and onto the next. My message is simple.

Hi, This is Adam Kahn with the Evansville AAA Office, If you like saving money on your auto and home owners insurance, give me a call back on my cell phone at # If not, have a wonderful day.

Of course, today was attempt 1, so no call backs thus far.

Adam! I was thinking about you the other day. You should give me a call sometime, but don't use it as an excuse to stop your cold calls ;)

I just use the auto message function that CallFire offers. As soon as the answering machine picks up, I hit the leave a message button and onto the next. My message is simple.

Hi, This is Adam Kahn with the Evansville AAA Office, If you like saving money on your auto and home owners insurance, give me a call back on my cell phone at # If not, have a wonderful day.

Of course, today was attempt 1, so no call backs thus far.

Adam,
I've done it after I learned from this agent...well, I had a staff person do it:) Best advice I can give you. Be ENTHUSIASTIC!

If you leave a message in a "flat" voice...then you'll have no success. As Frank says: "you've got to give good phone!"

If you can learn to do that...folks WILL return your calls, I flat guarantee it.

Merry Christmas!

You can even take their gaurd down by saying things like...

This probably won't interest you and if not its no big deal but...
I've been working with several people in your neighborhood
and figured you might have some of the same challenges
their facing so...
If you could show you a way to (insert benefits) wouldn't you
like to know about it?

That way when they hang up their saying to themselves "I am glad he called"

Great post! I especially like this little piece.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I was reading through this whole thread and it was mentioned that someone wanted to change the caller id tag that comes with your phone.

I learned that trick a long time ago.

My phone ID rings in as "grandson" :) Most people pick up!

I've been reading this whole thread too. Very interesting stuff.

Anyway, how do you get "grandson" to come up. You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Do you have one post on here were you are not judging a person? or have a snyde comment?

Just wondering how guilty you are feeling.

And for your comment its not a lie. They pick up I tell them who I am.

What a stupid idea!!! Grandma is all happy AND GIDDY to see grandson is calling and then instantly her brain goes to, "it's just some lying-assed salesman." Great way to start a sale.. WHATEVER!!!!

Back