Cold Calling Without a Gimmicky Script

A key i have noticed when dealing with people on the telephone is a lot of people have verbal diahrea. You need to assume the same until they tell you no. If you ask if they are interested they will automatically most of the time say no. So instead of asking if that sounds good say when would mornings or evening work better for you? Just from i have learned!

Most prople have an almost automatic response which is a defense mechanism----that is the word NO! As has been stated here you must avoid questions that have a yes or no answer particularly at the beginning of the call.

Heck, a script is nothing more than a guide to make sure you don't forget anything and so your calls will follow a natural sales process.
They are always awkward to anybody just starting to use them but after enough calls they become like second nature and sound natural.

You also learn where you can break away and return back at. Just make sure the script have open ended questions so that someone cant answer just yes or no.

Cold calling is effective if you're effective at it (sorry Paul, you know I love you but you always seem brainwashed by that book or whatever it was about cold calling sucks)

You don't have to believe me, or Frank Rumbauskas, Jr. (the "Cold Calling Sucks" guy).

We've had Jacques Werth come on this forum and post. Jacques is the author of the long-time best-seller High Probability Selling. I first read his book seven or eight years ago.

He has trained thousands of salespeople, and has been a recognized expert on sales training for over twenty (maybe thirty) years.

Maybe you should look up his posts on this forum, and see what he's got to say about "cold-calling".

I appreciate that you love me, but can you put your track record up against his?

Will he say that you can't be successful at cold calling?

That it doesn't work at all?

Where are the posts, I'd love his opinion, that's what it is right, an opinion?

So far, I agree 100% with this piece from the book:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Second, traditional sales training teaches that selling is the Art of Persuasion - that the way you get a prospect to buy your product or service is to manipulate the prospect through the five classical steps of the buying decision. In contrast, High Probability Selling teaches that selling is the art of Agreement and Commitment. Only High Probability Prospects - those who are willing to commit step-by-step to the buying process - are worth the salesperson's time, energy and resources. [/FONT]

You don't have to believe me, or Frank Rumbauskas, Jr. (the "Cold Calling Sucks" guy).

We've had Jacques Werth come on this forum and post. Jacques is the author of the long-time best-seller High Probability Selling. I first read his book seven or eight years ago.

He has trained thousands of salespeople, and has been a recognized expert on sales training for over twenty (maybe thirty) years.

Maybe you should look up his posts on this forum, and see what he's got to say about "cold-calling".

I appreciate that you love me, but can you put your track record up against his?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can write 1 deal per 3 hours of going BtoB. At an average commission of $600 and going BtoB 3 hr/day for 5 days that's $3,000 for the week. I've done it for weeks and months.

I'm not sure what Frank would have to say if I dragged him out in the field with me and showed him the 15 hours of cold calling a week can return $150K.

Costs? Gas.

In fact, there are countless sales jobs that are BtoB 8 hours a day. Advertising would be one of them. If you grabbed a laptop and an air card and decided to earn a living by going BtoB selling health 8 hours a day you'd make ohhh, around $300K a year.

Last edited:
I agree Cold-Calling is Obsolete. It alienates most of the people you call.

However, turning cold calls into a series of warm calls is a long-term winning strategy.

It enables you to develop "favorable front of the mind awareness" in a large target market. That is important because prospects buy in their own time for their own reasons. Each time you call your list, some of them will be ready to buy and they will want to buy from you.

Like everything else that gets posted here, this information probably won’t do you any good unless you learn how to do it.

Last edited:
I cold call almost every day.

I don't use a script but have talking points. I ask questions and actually listen to their responses. Then I evaluate and see if my services might help them.

I do B2B cold calls so depending on what industry has an impact on what questions I ask.

The technology industry you should be speaking to a group that is young, educated, & healthily......Pitching a Consumer driven plan might capture their attention.

Blue collar industry might have older, not as educated, & higher utilization people. So pitching a disease management program to help reduce cost might open the door.

Then again my closure rate is way low but atleast I have one.

Maybe I am doing it all wrong?

i am tweaking the content of my scripts from time to time. Sometimes i think the best script is one of sincerity. Using the nonverbal communication skills like tone, speed of speech, sounding conversational. I have always found that just trying to have a conversation but getting to the point about why i am calling seems to help in reducing the shield that automatically goes up for a telemarketing call. Unlock the Game is a website that i found insightful about cold calling. But i am always trying to learn new things and perfect the craft.

Back