Could Really Use Some Help with Approaching Referrals

I really am not saying this to be rude, but didn't the company you work for train you on this? Or did you start out independent? This is the basic 101 stuff.

That being said, you are over thinking this. Just call them, ask for a chance to meet them to see if you have anything to discuss, and move on. Some will, some will not. About 50% of referrals will meet with you.

"Prospect, this is FT, did John Jones happen to mention my name and that I would be giving you a call?" (answer does not matter)

"I'm with a XYZ Company here in Anytown and John is a good client of mine. He mentioned your name as someone he respected and said you would be someone I would enjoy meeting. What I would like to do is grab a cup of coffee and have a conversation. With your schedule, what is typically the best time to get together, mornings or afternoons?"

A pro will have a response ready to "what specifically do you do?" and "I already have an advisor/life insurance". But, many will set meetings anyway just because you ask. Just make the calls. You will get better over time, these referred leads will come no where close to making or breaking your career.

You mentioned a deeper problem of not having enough people to see already and feeling like you need to convert these. If you had plenty of people to call, you wouldn't be feeling the pressure on these. Search this forum, ask questions, you will get the answers you need. However, implementing them is all on you!

If I get a referral I wouldn't worry about dnc just call them.
I have never had a referral say I'm on the dnc list.

If they did I would say I'm sorry _________ asked me to call you I won't call again thanks.

I mean really it's going to take more than one person saying you called without permission for anything to happen anyways.

I mean really if someone gave me your number and I call and ask if you'd like to get together I'm really not soliciting anything @ this point anyways.

But for my two cents to start the YES ladder I would say...

Hi John this Eric with ABC Company here in anytown.
You know John Smith right?

yes.

Okay well I was visiting John the other day and we were
able to help him with ___________ and really make a difference
for his family. John suggested I give you a call because he thought
you would be open minded to improving your situation as well and
had a lot of good things to say about you. I was going to out in your
area a little bit next week and just wanted to pop by and introduce myself
to you. There's nothing to buy whatsoever on the first appointment and
no charge for my time. So I have some time on ummm....(Sound like your
busy even if your not)... it looks like Monday and Wednesday
of next week...Which one of those days might work best for you?

If they suggest another day find out what time then say I can move some
things around for you since your friends with such and such and book the appointment.

Last edited:
Back