Eliminate The Fear, Failure and Rejection from Cold Calling

Tampa Bay Rep

Guru
100+ Post Club
Here is a 30 minute video that I thought might be of interest to agents on the forum by best selling author and sales trainer Art Sobczak sharing how to eliminate the Fear, Failure and Rejection from Cold Calling.

Aged Insurance Leads Sales Training Video - Art Sobczak

In the presentation Art Sobczak offers the following additional info for free upon request:

1. “26 Cold Calling Opening Statement Mistakes that Cause Rejection, and What to Say Instead”

2. “Telephone Tips that Sell- 501 How To Ideas and Affirmations to Help You Get More Business By Phone”

What are your thoughts on the content he presents? Anything you agree or disagree with?

Besides the things he mentions, what are some of the things you have done to make your cold calling successful? What do you say on your insurance cold calls specifically that you have found to be effective?

I'll watch it later, but here's my take on the subject:

It's not about the fear of rejection. The word "no" only hurts us if we let it. It's kinda silly to be afraid of a little word.

It's about the ANXIETY of knowing that you have to ASK OTHERS to show the kind of work you do. That's what it is for me. I feel the anxiety just by THINKING about asking and talking to others.

So, what do I do about it?
1) Realize that all top advisors in our industry also have the same fears and anxieties. They may call it "call reluctance"... but that's just another word for anxiety. Two advisors that I KNOW have it are: Marvin Feldman and Gene Mahn - both past and current leaders of the MDRT and the life insurance industry. Both are top producers with over 40 years experience.

2) Knowing that other top advisors STILL have call reluctance/anxiety (even after 40+ years experience) tells me that I'm not alone and it's not going to go away. I can realize my full potential in this career - just as they have, but you've got to prospect, despite the anxiety.

3) Those that DON'T have call reluctance anxieties... might not be the best types of people to work with on a professional basis (in my opinion). Sid Walker talks about "relationship builders" versus "client controllers". The hardest part about relationship builders... is in initiating contact - because you know that no one is going to contact you out of the blue. "Client controllers" seem to be only after their "kill" and move on to the next 'victim'.

Which person would you rather be in this business?

Which problem would you rather work to overcome?

4) Use 'AAA' before making every contact via telephone or in-person. 'AAA' stands for:
- Ask yourself: I wonder if (they're nice, interested, etc.)...
- Answer the question: "I don't know... let's find out."
- Act on it and do it.

Don't think of prospecting like time-blocking blob of time to enter into a boxing ring full of rejection. Yes, you should block out time for dedicated prospecting... but the mindset needs to shift. Shift it from "I hope this isn't a waste of time" to focusing on each individual you are contacting and offering your services.

Remember this: Out of 10 people at any given time:
- 3 won't do business with you... no matter what you do.
- 3 may do business with you... no matter what you do.
- 4 remaining people can be swayed either way depending on your skills and the type of person you are.

If you focus on the quality of each contact, do it, be genuine and sincere... it will help lessen your anxieties over time and increase your success rates.

Watched the video... None of the info is new but is things we should constantly review as agents tend to get away from it and slip back into old habits that are self defeating.. For example, apologize for calling or making the statement, "I know you are busy".. If you feel the need to apologize or if you know that I am busy, then why are you interrupting me?.. We are off to a bad start becasue you have just admitted you do not value my time.

I did not watch the video, but the post by DHK got me back to the mindset I needed to be in. SO, Thanks DHK. Was supposed to be calling from 9-11 and got caught in the anxiety for a few...this reminded me of a few things.

Maybe I will watch the video later.

Besides the things he mentions, what are some of the things you have done to make your cold calling successful? What do you say on your insurance cold calls specifically that you have found to be effective?

I have found out that by simply stating I am not a telemarketer with a grin/laugh in my voice, I get alot better results and usually they laugh and say something like "good, whats up", or something to that nature.

Granted, I only use that because I KNOW they have spoke with someone else with my company in the past or done business with my company in the past. I never lie

I simply say....Hey, is this _____? Good. My name is ___ ______ and the reason I am calling ya....well, first of all, I am not a telemarketer, OK (with a grin/smile in my voice)......

Even if you were calling someone that has never done business with your company, I dont think it's a lie because we are not telemarketers, we are insurance agents trying to help them. If they see me as such, so be it, but rarely do they! It at least gives me the chance to get my spiel out!

I have found out that by simply stating I am not a telemarketer with a grin/laugh in my voice, I get alot better results and usually they laugh and say something like "good, whats up", or something to that nature.

Granted, I only use that because I KNOW they have spoke with someone else with my company in the past or done business with my company in the past. I never lie

I simply say....Hey, is this _____? Good. My name is ___ ______ and the reason I am calling ya....well, first of all, I am not a telemarketer, OK (with a grin/smile in my voice)......

Even if you were calling someone that has never done business with your company, I dont think it's a lie because we are not telemarketers, we are insurance agents trying to help them. If they see me as such, so be it, but rarely do they! It at least gives me the chance to get my spiel out!

All about getting the spiel out. :1laugh:
Kind of interrupts their pattern and tendency to want to hang up.

I'd say the reason we feel the need to apologize and the reason we feel uneasy making cold calls in the first place is that we're paying attention to the wrong thing...

We're paying attention to our own feelings of anxiety instead of the message we want to convey. Our emotional thoughts can make things much more complicated than they are. The good news is that we can all have more control over how and where we focus our attention.

Don't think of prospecting like time-blocking blob of time to enter into a boxing ring full of rejection

Right...that's it for me. This is what it feels like. lol. It's like I have to get ready to climb Mt. Everest at times. Or, like heading in for a major workout (or a boxing ring to go at it with a champ). But, once I get started it seems easier. It's the getting started part that is almost paralyzing at times.

This feeling of getting started is a daily up hill battle. But, the pay off is ALWAYS worth it.

I could care less about the NO's and rejection, it's more about, oh hell, now how long do I have to do this for it to pay off today (sometimes it doesn't and I have to wait til next session).

Another way I look at it is, I like to gamble and it takes so many hands of video poker on the quarter machines before you get a four of a kind or better...same thing with cold calls, only the pay off is usually better...both produce a similar anxiety for me. I just don't know how to make it go away. Poker's more fun and way easier to get started, but the cold calls pay better. So, here I go, back on the phone after a nice break from it. lol.

Last edited:
Well Lakshmi it sounds like you have the energy and commitment. That's really good. But what can you do to have more impact on the outcomes of the calls?

I've made lots and lots of prospecting calls and it's true you never really know what the results will be up front. But do you really want to compare cold calling to playing the slots where it's 100% down to chance (or at least down to the programmed percentage payoffs set by management)?

Whatever products you're selling or whomever you're calling, there's got to be all kinds of ways you can tweak your phone approach or the process to make things more productive. When you find something that seems to work, keep doing it. If it doesn't improve your results, drop it and try something different.

There are so many ways to increase traction and feel more empowered in the process so you don't just think it's completely beyond your control where the wheel lands on the next spin. If you focus on what you're doing instead of on what you're getting, I don't think you'll be so obsessed thinking about when you're going to score next...Does this make sense? Helpful?

What are you selling and who do you call?

Back