I'm A Newbie And Need Help!

Let me start off saying I have no background in sales and I just got my P&C license. My Brother is the owner of the agency I am working at (all commission no draw), but he has no time to show me anything about selling, prospecting or cold calling. He really hasn't had to do these things for awhile.

At this point I am more concerned with getting some small business policies to offer a competing quote. I have tried some cold calling (from phone book) to no avail. I'm sure my script leaves much to be desired. Any help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

1: Should I buy a targeted list?
2: Any good scripts for setting up a time to go to the business and getting a copy of their Dec pages, so I can come up with a competing quote.
3: I am willing to go business to business in person but what do I say, and should I bring a pamphlet?
4: Read a few books on selling, what do you all think of a sales course?
5: Do I need a dialer? and if so what one is good and basic?

Sorry to need so much direction but I am in a new environment and without much direction. All I hear is just get out there.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Wow! So, no sales experience and no training. If your going to try and beat your competition, you need to know your products inside and out.

As far as books go, search these forums. There are a couple of great threads on good selling books. Watch some Zig Ziglar vids on youtube. It can be a good start.

If you want to beat your competition, offer what they don't if you can. I have a close friend who built her P&C business completely off hard to place risks.

Contacting businesses is good, but, if your dealing with seasoned business professionals, then you need to have your "A" game when you contact them. You'll be one in a long line of people that have interrupted their day.

goodluck
sherd

Book looks good...but it was published 15yrs ago. Does it still apply?

You have to work around the DNC regulations which that predates. However, most of what is in there still applies. It also sounds like the OP is starting from ground zero. So many things old hat to an experienced producer may be useful.

Last edited:
You have to work around the DNC regulations which that predates. However, most of what is in there still applys. It also sounds like the OP is starting from ground zero.

Ok x

10-4...thanks for that info

I haven't read this book but it has great reviews. "So You Want to Be an Insurance Agent: A Step-by-Step Approach to Successful Insurance Agency" by Jeff Hastings

Last edited:
I would recommend before you go out and buy all of the books that you go on youtube. search listneraudiobook (it's spelled right) that page has enough sales books to keep you busy for a long time. You can even take the youtube video and format it to mp3 or mp4 and download it to your mobile devices to listen offline.

I would recommend before you go out and buy all of the books that you go on youtube. search listneraudiobook (it's spelled right) that page has enough sales books to keep you busy for a long time. You can even take the youtube video and format it to mp3 or mp4 and download it to your mobile devices to listen offline.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Lots of these books are pre-edited to skip the platitudes and fluff. You can get the point of the book in a third of the time. Awesome.

Back