ODesk - Who's Used Them?

GeekInc

Expert
I'm currently looking at having a few telemarketers for our business here in Australia. Has anyone used this site and would recommend it? Also, if you do recommend is there someone on there in particular that you think I should used?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

I'm currently looking at having a few telemarketers for our business here in Australia. Has anyone used this site and would recommend it? Also, if you do recommend is there someone on there in particular that you think I should used?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

I've used it, and still do, it's been really easy for me. One thing I've noticed is it can be difficult to get someone on the phone but I've never had to do that. I was able to resolve the one small issue I had on my own, while I was waiting for a call back.

I would definitely interview the marketers first, especially if you're looking to hire foreign country natives. I did a lot of interviews and still ended up hiring inside the US, which is totally fine but the accents were just to heavy for the telemarketing I was going to be doing.

Yeah I've had them send me audio of voices...I found some of them too strong in accent too.

Just given one lady a go, see how it goes. Might look for an Australian on there but there rate might be too high for me.

Thanks for the advice too.

I have used them for 5 years with mostly good people. The thing is. What position are you looking to hire. Telemarketing is a crap shoot. You have to stay on them for that. I have found hiring an agency better for basic telemarketing. I personally prefer to pay the higher rates in the US to get a higher quality lead.

My best success has been with Virtual Assistance and customer service people. We have used with some success, staff for Social Media.

The Odesk work desk is a nice feature to keep an eye on their work. Also, look into Team Viewer if you have more than one person, to stay connected with the staff.

One thing when you hire. They like to take multiple jobs at the same time because most job posts are temporary and they get a little insecure. So long term commitments to the job post will get you better quality worker.

Tech people on Odesk have been the biggest problem due to the time difference in the US. Never get those workers to work the midnight shift out there. You should not have that problem being from Australia.

Thanks Twilight, I've put one on at the moment. So will let you know how it goes, I'm nervous but excited too. :)

I've used them a bunch for telemarketers as well as programmers. Found good and bad of both. Overall I think it's a great place to search, but certainly not a slam dunk. The feedback system is great.

If you're hiring telemarketers, make sure to have skype. It's the easiest (and free) way to interview many of them and get that all out of the way pretty painlessly.

You can also try other sites such as elance.
There are many virtual assistance people looking for jobs. This site also rate each person accordingly.

I've used them a bunch for telemarketers as well as programmers. Found good and bad of both. Overall I think it's a great place to search, but certainly not a slam dunk. The feedback system is great.

If you're hiring telemarketers, make sure to have skype. It's the easiest (and free) way to interview many of them and get that all out of the way pretty painlessly.

Josh, I'm just hating on the cold calls. I'm trying to figure out other ways of marketing insurance. The problem could be that most of our potential clients have been hounded by previous Combined Insurance agents. Ven thou I'm one of the nice Combined Agents. LOL :)

Josh, I'm just hating on the cold calls. I'm trying to figure out other ways of marketing insurance. The problem could be that most of our potential clients have been hounded by previous Combined Insurance agents. Ven thou I'm one of the nice Combined Agents. LOL :)

If you want to hire telemarketers because you hate cold calling, you're probably going to have a rough time. Training and managing a telemarketer comes with a PILE of it's own hurdles, not the least of which is the cost of paying them while you're still learning how to do it. If you're not prepared to burn through at lesat $2k to get a groove, I wouldn't bother. That doesn't mean that it will take the $2k (it might take less or more), but it's a real investment vs instant results.

That makes sense. I'm back to hitting the phones today (happy). My ratio is 1 in 20 calls to appointments, I really want to get it too 1 in 10 and then I'll be a happy man.

Back