Buy Xdates or Cold Call for Them?

IMO, x -dates are almost a waste of time, especially for commercial insurance. On the X date the client is going to have numerous quotes that you are going to compete against, the incumbent agent is going to be reviewing the coverage, etc.

I have far more success at mid-term sales. NO competition, the incumbent agent is usually oblivious to your antics, and you can write it based on acceptable loss runs which you get after a commitment from the applicant so the incumbent is caught off-guard and his little time to fight back.

BE THE SHARK!!! No one Hyena in a pack of Hyena's circling the carcass hoping for a piece of meat.

This is applicable to life and health, and property and casualty.

I know some states and areas release this data so I wouldn't think those areas would consider purchasing.

As an agency owner or sales manager, would you rather:

Have your agents cold call for the renewal date

- or-

Purchase leads with the renewal date

Accoding to our customer polls, it typically takes 10 phone calls to get one renewal date. Do you think that's accurate?

If you'd rather purchase, what would you budget? Woudl you make the producer share the cost?

Thanks in advance for the input!

IMO, x -dates are almost a waste of time, especially for commercial insurance. On the X date the client is going to have numerous quotes that you are going to compete against, the incumbent agent is going to be reviewing the coverage, etc.

I have far more success at mid-term sales. NO competition, the incumbent agent is usually oblivious to your antics, and you can write it based on acceptable loss runs which you get after a commitment from the applicant so the incumbent is caught off-guard and his little time to fight back.

BE THE SHARK!!! No one Hyena in a pack of Hyena's circling the carcass hoping for a piece of meat.

What's your intro?
Thank you,

If you could send me a link to where the states that release the data are that'd be great, [email protected].

The consumer data is usually pretty cheap because it can be based off home purchase month which is easy to source.

The business data is more than a little hairy. I believe one company pretty much has that arena locked down, datalister.com. I hear folks say it's around 35 cents per record with a steep minimum, but that could have easily changed.

You are right - Datalisters is has that on lock. min of $500.00 Pulls. The x-dates are calendar year so you cannot specify upcoming months only. There are telemarketing companies that will generate you organic X-dates but it can be expensive.

I would have to say I would rather buy them over generating them. In the appointment setting process calling gathering the x-dates is much more expensive because its labor intensive. Typically takes a lot of calling hours.

Would cost more in man hours even at min wage to generate 1000 x-dates as compared to buying them for $500. However the x-dates generated are a lot better if they are made just for you - yielding much better appointments. This is assuming you plan on calling off the X-dates yourself for the appointment.

You good caller will get 2-3 x-dates an hour.

Last edited:
Back