Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Insurance Continuing Education Forum

Reply to Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?     
Old 03-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
Bod
Expert

State: Bod is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License? Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?
That way I'd be better educated and not have the CE requirement "hanging over my head"...is there anything wrong with this?

I notice the available courses on Sircon have a renewal date. If a course's listed renewal date is BEFORE my license renewal date, does that mean the course would not qualify towards my continuing education?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?

Old 03-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
DHK
Guru
DHK on Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?

State: DHK is an Insurance Agent from California
DHK is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License? Re: Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?
I don't know what state you're in, but if you have a license #, you should be able to complete regulatory CE.

BTW, I wouldn't expect to actually 'learn' much from CE. But you can at least get familiar with long term care, annuities, and ethics. I know you have to complete an approved CE course before you can sell LTC and annuities. If you can, just get it done.

Plenty of online CE available. Most of the forum prefers WebCE. I use Kruise.com, but it's all pretty much the same.
  Reply With Quote to Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Guru
VolAgent on Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License? Re: Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?
If you actually wanting to learn something, I recommend you get a certification in your field. Otherwise I'm sure you can complete your CE once you have your license #. I have no idea what the renewal date on the Sircon site is, perhaps when the material has to be renewed with the state?

I have used Webce as well as other providers. Very rare to learn something, maybe a nugget here or there as I try to take courses that interest me.

You can pay the premium or you can own the loss.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
Guru
Cornelius on Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?

State: Cornelius is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Cornelius is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
I used to actually like the instructor led classes. You could ask questions right there from experienced agents.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Super Genius

State: InsCommentary is an Insurance Agent from
There IS quality CE to be had online. A good example is the Florida School of Insurance at Florida Insurance School | Continuing Education for Insurance Professionals. I know the proprietor and the guy who founded the school. They use webinar instructors like Jerry Hargrove, Chris Amrhein, Jerry Rhinehart, and other first-rate, knowledgeable instructors. The typical 3-hour webinar costs about $48. They're based in Florida, but the contract with some agent associations in other states to provide the content while the state association administers the CE.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Guru
BlockO on Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?

State: BlockO is an Insurance Agent from Ohio
BlockO is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by VolAgent View Post
If you actually wanting to learn something, I recommend you get a certification in your field.....

I have used Webce as well as other providers. Very rare to learn something, maybe a nugget here or there as I try to take courses that interest me.
I agree. There's no CE course out there that will teach you anything more than a nugget here and there.

I don't see how many of these CE schools stay in business now that many agents (especially indy P&C agents with direct appts.) can fulfill their CE requirements for free.

How does any business compete against free?

Dan Lyles
Lyles Insurance

Serving Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Virginia and West Virginia.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Super Genius

"How does any business compete against free?"

If the "free" is largely worthless and takes time out of production vs. CE that is relevant and has value, it's not a hard decision.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
Guru
BlockO on Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?

State: BlockO is an Insurance Agent from Ohio
BlockO is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
wasn't worthless for me. about the same as any other CE course. and it didn't take time away from production either. if anything it saved time because I was able to complete the required 24 hours (actually 25. I earned one more hour than I needed) in about 3 1/2 hours.

by "free" I meant that I didn't pay a dime. carrier paid for it. carrier offers two free classes. I just happened to pick the two with the most credit hours.... A ten hour ethics course and a fifteen hour other P&C course.... Done!

so yeah, you're right. it wasn't a hard decision.

Last edited by BlockO; 03-27-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
Bod
Expert

State: Bod is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License? Re: Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License? Bod is the thread starter for: Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?

Can getting a designation count as Continuing Education in most cases/states? At least then I'd learn something, right?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
Super Genius

Most well known designations include CE credit. If it's self-study, you'll probably have to pass a test that will be more rigorous than what you'll find at WebCE and "diploma mills."
Reply to Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Insurance Continuing Education Forum