How Did You Study for the Exam?

SomeDude99

Expert
CT
I feel so helpless. I bought the Kaplan online couse basic for the Life/Accident/and Health. The book they give you to study is 550 pages! It has taken me three weeks just to get thru 120 pages. I dont know what to do. Plus there is a CT Health insurance law booklet I have to study that is 80 pages and extremely dry material.

The 120 pages I've studied I understand very well. However, its gonna take me like 6 months to study all of this. I dont want to study this stuff every day. Its getting frustrating for me.

I heard there are workshops (2-3 days) you can go to and they tell you exactly what you need to know. Im doing self study and its gonna take me so long. I dont think im doing this efficiently.

Any advice is really appreciated.

SomeDude99 said:
I feel so helpless. I bought the Kaplan online couse basic for the Life/Accident/and Health. The book they give you to study is 550 pages! It has taken me three weeks just to get thru 120 pages. I dont know what to do. Plus there is a CT Health insurance law booklet I have to study that is 80 pages and extremely dry material.

The 120 pages I've studied I understand very well. However, its gonna take me like 6 months to study all of this. I dont want to study this stuff every day. Its getting frustrating for me.

I heard there are workshops (2-3 days) you can go to and they tell you exactly what you need to know. Im doing self study and its gonna take me so long. I dont think im doing this efficiently.

Most agents have to go through 8 years of college to get their insurance degree. CT may be different...

The method that was shown to me and I used to get my 220,215,216,218 (P&C and Life and Health) I will call the 3 check method. First I had to attend the required state courses in Florida. Then i purchased the flash cards of questions. The method is read the card answer the question if you get it right you put a check mark on the card. Once you get three checks on the card you take it out of the stack. You do this until you have no cards left.
ALSO do not try to learn insurance at this time. Learn to pass the test. Then read this forum to learn actually what goes on.

Having been in and out of this business a couple of times I have taken both L&H and the 6&63 exams twice. Here is what I have done successfully. Take the cheapest pre-licensing course that I can find that fulfills the requirement (I'm a tightwad). Get a computer based practice exam and take the questions over and over until I can score close to 90. Go take the exam. I have always passed with scored that ranged from the low 80's to the high 90's. The only time I had a problem was on the 63 when I had a bunch of questions that were not covered in the practice exam (crappy practice exam) and I barely passed. I have never studied a book.

The Kaplan book should have a study plan at the beginning. If you have the discipline to follow this, you should be able to pass the test. I used Kaplan to pass the Series 6, 63 and 65 exams on the first attempt. I got scores that were well above passing. Some say I studied too long. I wanted to pass the first time and be done with it. Reading and learning the material will allow you to speak the language of the industry.

I would go to Testteachers for 99 bucks and watch the videos and take the practice exams. I studied for a solid two weeks just watching the videos over and over and passed.

Back