Double Header: Enccrypted Email Servicce, and Whether to Use Phone As Hotspot Vs Buying the Verizon

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
1. am checking out AppRiver as an encrypted email service. I have been advised due to increasing enforcement of HIPAA rules that any PHI/PI information sent to clients should be encrypted. I do mostly health insurance so there is plenty of both health and personal info. Several of the carrier quote sites email option gives the person a link to access their quote instead of sending the info as an attachment or in body of the email.
AppRiver also allows clients to download a free smartphone app so if they want to send me docs by taking a photo/texting the doc, it's encrypted. I have my phone encrypted now, so that could work. I am working on a seamless compliant workflow. I like that they have come up with a solution that works with how people communicate now. If a client knows how to photo/text or email, they could download an app. Anyone have other systems?

2. Working in the field quite a lot this season. I can use my phone, but the Verizon rep told me it is slower, recommended their 2 year contract on a little stand alond hotspot device, which is free, but usage is $20/mo and pay for level data, generally $10 per Gb. I would rather have the speed and spend the money if it really makes a difference. Anyone have experience with this?

I use my phone hotspot and on regular LTE service (not XLTE, I have a Note 2) I get 15-25 mbps speed, which is 10 times faster than the DSL I had. Sounds like he's trying to get paid on selling you that new line of service.

Thanks! Unless there is some noticeable issue with the function of sales process with the hotspot/phone connection, and I begin to lose some business, I don't plan to get one.

Encrypted email suggestions, anyone?

I use my Galaxy S4 either tethered to my laptop or as a hotspot all the time. Plenty fast and unless you're streaming movies or wasting time on YouTube it's not a huge drain on your data plan.

Thanks, I feel better. I mentioned not noticing big issues with speed when tethered to my phone, good to know others don't either. Now I have to get used to the electronic MAPD/Med-Supp apps. No YouTube unless it's an app tutorial.

I'd be curious on hearing of encryption solutions also. I do mostly health insurance. I'm thinking that most agents just aren't following through with setting it up or are not aware that they are supposed to?

I have not reviewed any of this. I will ask my son about this when he returns from a trip. Might be next week.

FWIW I have heard him talk about PGP but beyond that I don't have any insight.

There are ways to encrypt your email without having a special service. Here are some suggestions. I am aware of some companies that use Zix and my experience is hit or miss.

Also, the "review" sites are usually affiliates and the number one recommendation usually is nothing more than a paid ad.

PGP is owned by Symantec.

Email Encryption Software Review 2014 | Best Email Security Software | Secure Encrypted Email - TopTenREVIEWS

Easy to Use Email Encryption from ZixCorp

Encrypt your Gmail Email!

Encrypt e-mail messages - Outlook

How to Encrypt Your Email and Keep Your Conversations Private

Hushmail appears to offer a dedicated service billed as HIPAA compliant.

https://www.hushmail.com/hipaa-email/

Back