Hostgator Has Gone to Crap

Larry Tew

Guru
1000 Post Club
Raleigh
I had an email spam filter issue (Hostgator) today. I called around 12:30 eastern. After being on hold 20 minutes, I decided to try the chat only to see that the expected wait time was 30 minutes.

Appears that since their purchase, they - just like Bluehost, iPage, Intuit etc and the other 60 companies now owned by EIG are all jokes.

Hate Godaddy all you want, but I never had any problems getting someone on the phone with them, and I can count on one hand since 2006 the times I actually had problems that lasted more than a few minutes.

I'm hearing that Arvixe and InMotion are getting a lot og HG business.

Chris Westfall (Daytona Guy) has an ISP he recommends. Can't recall which one it is right now.

Chris Westfall (Daytona Guy) has an ISP he recommends. Can't recall which one it is right now.

I remember you liking WPEngine. No more than I'm doing with my website right now, they seem like overkill - but lately HG has been a heaping pile of UNDERkill.

My HG sites will experience 20-30 minute intervals of being very slow. Frustrating because, as you mentioned above, by the time you get somebody on the phone or chat... it has magically been resolved. Looking at switching hosts soon.

My HG sites will experience 20-30 minute intervals of being very slow. Frustrating because, as you mentioned above, by the time you get somebody on the phone or chat... it has magically been resolved. Looking at switching hosts soon.

That's sort of the nature of the beast with any shared hosting provider. If someone else on that machine is experiencing a heavy load for whatever reason, it hurts everyone's site speed. The only way around that for good is dedicated hosting.

I believe you can get dedicated hosting with Skynet for around $40/month. Compared to say Bluehost at $149 it's a great price, however service is by ticket rather than BH where you can call anytime. I've had nothing but exemplary tech support from BH over the 5 years I've used them. I'll even call them on off the wall topics such as email record questions or even advanced wordpress things.

Not trying to just bash on Hostgator any more than I have already said but my site was down for a good 15 minutes just now. Estimated wait time on live chat support is 30 MINUTES!! On a Saturday morning?!? Ridiculous...

Back