Is There a Way to Block Traffic to Your Website to Keep Foreigners Out?

?

Message is too short it says. I thought I got the point across .... is there a way I can block people from india, russia, china etc. from being able to click on my website?

Nothing against foreigners, but there is really no need for them to be on my site. Some of them spend several minutes on it, which I don't like. Any way to block them out?

You should be able to block referring IP addresses from those countries by adding some rules to .htaccess. You can then have some fun with them and send them to any URL you want if you like.

Why don't you like them on your site?

If you have cPanel access you can block the ip addresses from there pretty easily, you can just search for country codes for them or just look at the IP addresses that are coming in and use those ranges.

It is pretty time consuming to block all IP address ranges other than US. So instead you would BLOCK all addresses by ALLOWING only US ranges. I have attached a list of US ranges.

In shared hosting plans you need to either code the HTACCESS file (PHP/Linux) or put it in the IIS Metabase if using Windows IIS.

It is a lot of work to maintain the IP lists as well so unless the traffic is causing you financial harm, or they are attempting to hack your website, it is best just to not worry about. In the cases that they are hacking your site it is best just to block the IP range of the attack.

Finally, they can always still use a US based proxy to access your site so again you are just adding more overhead and work for yourself.

Attachments

• US_ipranges.zip
    144.5 KB · Views: 2
If you have a wordpress site you can download the Wordfence Security Plugin. It shows all traffic and easily allows you to block by entire country or individual ip.

Yes, why would you want to if in some small way they are driving up your ranking? What are they doing on your website?

I have nothing against foreigners, but I do have a problem with people from china, india, russia, thailand etc. spending 10-15 minutes on my site. Why are they there spending that much time, especially on my blog? My thinking is that anything on my site is irrelevant to them. So they must either be copying content or doing something spammy to my site.

Paranoid? Maybe so. But I've heard agents on here talk about either being hacked or having their content stolen from abroad.

Back