New from Kansas

Greetings,

I joined this forum in hopes of getting some information about an upcoming interview with State Farm. I was contacted by a recruiter yesterday about working for SF to sell insurance over the phone. I am unfamiliar with this line of work and have been told by others it is not the best. My scheduled interview is this coming Monday.

Basically, what I need to find out is what should I expect from the interview? How does this line of work operate? I was told this line of work is not 100% commission dependent and they do guarantee pay. How does this work? What portion of their guaranteed pay makes up the first years income (I was told by recruiter first year is around $36K)?

I'll have more q's as other members answer mine. Thank you in advance!

Welcome! Adding to what Chumps said let them know that you have lots energy and perseverance.

Welcome! A good voice and great work ethic will help. Emphasize those traits.

Thanks for the response. I pride myself as having an excellent working ethic. Over the course of my current job, I have had zero unscheduled absences and I am in the top 16% of the employees in productivity. On the other hand, I do have speech impediments (IE, stutter, talking too fast, etc). However, if I know what it is I am talking about, the stuttering usually subsides.

I read on another site where I may have to try to sell something to the interviewer. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again!

My interview is tomorrow and I am nervous. For one, I don't know if I have the "perfect" credit/financial history SF may want. Basically, I worked driving a truck, couldn't pass the DOT physical and went bankrupt which cleared last year. Other concerns I have:

* Student loan debt since 2011 / uncertain if I will be able to finish degree
* My health (fine now, but uncertain later on)
* Pending lay-off from current job is the only reason I am looking for work now
* General lack of knowledge of what I may be walking into

I've been reading threads on this site and the prospect of working as an agent seems intriguing, but I need solidity. Not knowing whether I will have a pay check coming from week to week scares me. I understand the State Farm has guaranteed pay, but will it be enough to keep me living? I have a lot on my plate right now and really don't know what to do.

At the simplistic level, I need a full time job with which I can support myself. At the same time, I'd like to finish a degree (if this agent business works out, I'll go after a business degree). I'm 30 years old, still living with my folks to help me save money for school, single, and really have nothing going for me.

What to do?

Edit: I'll answer my own q: I'm gonna forget about pursing this line of work. I found the SF agent thread I am really not interested in obtaining $100K+ in debt and slaving for 5 to 10 years to get back into the black. Nope, nadda, ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:
My interview is tomorrow and I am nervous. For one, I don't know if I have the "perfect" credit/financial history SF may want. Basically, I worked driving a truck, couldn't pass the DOT physical and went bankrupt which cleared last year. Other concerns I have:

* Student loan debt since 2011 / uncertain if I will be able to finish degree
* My health (fine now, but uncertain later on)
* Pending lay-off from current job is the only reason I am looking for work now
* General lack of knowledge of what I may be walking into

I've been reading threads on this site and the prospect of working as an agent seems intriguing, but I need solidity. Not knowing whether I will have a pay check coming from week to week scares me. I understand the State Farm has guaranteed pay, but will it be enough to keep me living? I have a lot on my plate right now and really don't know what to do.

At the simplistic level, I need a full time job with which I can support myself. At the same time, I'd like to finish a degree (if this agent business works out, I'll go after a business degree). I'm 30 years old, still living with my folks to help me save money for school, single, and really have nothing going for me.

What to do?

Edit: I'll answer my own q: I'm gonna forget about pursing this line of work. I found the SF agent thread I am really not interested in obtaining $100K+ in debt and slaving for 5 to 10 years to get back into the black. Nope, nadda, ain't gonna happen.

I think the position you are interviewing for is as a producer not as a stand alone agent. If that is the case it will not require investment.

Last edited:
So, I get a call back from SF this morning. I asked them specifically what they were hiring for and the recruiter said agent. I told her I was not interested especially reading about the agent program here. I already have enough debt wrapped up in college loans. Don't need more.

Latest posts

Back