How to Study for the Life Insurance Exam?

aureo11

Hi all, I've decided to work on becoming a life insurance agent and am trying to figure out the best way to study for the Iowa life insurance exam. So far I've found a few third party options which promise to condense the material I need to study so that I'm only learning what I need to take the exam. However, I would like to actually study the whole process in depth so that I'm certain I understand all the steps well, rather then just studying with the goal to pass the exam. Do Iowa and other states have an actual handbook which has all the required information? Or if it necessary to use 3rd party training materials.

Which materials would you recommend to actually learn as much as possible about the business?

Hi aureo11! Welcome. I went through Insurance Schools on line. They did a pretty good job with the basics for the exam, but nothing state specific. They sent a manual specific to Iowa Laws and Regulations to study on your own. I read it thoroughly and passed fairly easily, but I do remember some questions on the exam I had never seen.

Where are you located?

In the insurance world it's basically a constant learning thing. Pass the test and go from there. Just try not to overwhelm yourself.

I agree with the last post. The exams are good and you need to know legal ramifications and procedures...but in practice you well need to know more company specific stuff not found in any study guide. Kaplan has a good program, or it was for me at least. Plus they have state specific stuff in better depth than I could find elsewhere. Your experience may vary.

Thanks for the information guys, I can already tell that the business is one where continuous learning is required. I assume once I become an agent then companies will be more then happy to send me detailed information about all their offerings?

Depends on what kind if student you are..definitely do the pre-licensing study materials and exam. For the state exam, you can either do it over time (maybe 4 weeks) or some will cram weekend to weekend and take it first thing Monday morning after successfully completing several practice tests. I've seen both...just decide what works best for you. I'm sure you'l do fine...good luck!

Study methods are different for everyone. I used pmreview. They have what's called the zoompack that helped me immensely. state-specific materials included. They also have online classes for every state available if that works for you. I didn't take them but I had a friend that did. He loved it. Good luck to you!

Hello!

I wish you the best. I attended a cram class with Russ Financial it was excllent. They send you the notes. You must study the notes.

Back