Life Insurance Sales Old School Door to Door

By investing time, people are buying HIM, not just his products & solutions.

In my opinion, if all you're selling is product, then it would be a poor use of time and it's better to leverage it out through other people or money to generate leads.

If you're talking about a planning conversation revolving around insurance solutions, then you need to be able to establish a connection through a professional introduction and sell yourself. You cannot effectively delegate that - aside from marketing for seminars and they show up.

"Knowledge of the product never was and never will be worth more than 5%. Knowledge of people 95%. If you ain't got that straight, you've got nothing straight. People don't buy insurance. People buy people." - John Savage

Just curious JD.. Have you ever worked by canvassing for prospects?

No, and never will. When AmGen told me we were going to start having "call night" where we sat in an office and cold called our project 100 lists while they watched and then that we were going to start taking a day to just go park and walk up and down the street DK'ing, I quit.

I quit that day. never went back. Never did the call night nor the cold DK'ing.

I have cold DK'ed a couple times in my career but it was by accident. At the wrong house for the lead. :laugh:

I tried selling door to door just about every insurance line (life, health, DI, cancer plans, & PC)

P&C is the clear winner as a far as consistent D2D lead generation.

I've been selling P&C leads part time to captive agents since March of 2016 and my average is 3 per hour during the prime time hours (evenings and weekends)

These captive agents do write a decent amount of non-med term just by bringing it up during the appointment.

But like JD inferred, if you value your time, there's a much better way to generate life insurance leads than door to door.

Door knocking is best left for those who have more time than money!

I suppose that is subjective?

JD,

Do you find lead purchasing more effective? I am evaluating D2D versus lead purchasing for life insurance sales. This is a side gig for me and the $$$ is pure gravy so I am evaluating options...

Thank you.

JD,

Do you find lead purchasing more effective? I am evaluating D2D versus lead purchasing for life insurance sales. This is a side gig for me and the $$$ is pure gravy so I am evaluating options...

Thank you.

If you don't need the money AND you want to leverage your time then working for commission is the wrong way to go.

If you don't need the money AND you want to leverage your time then working for commission is the wrong way to go.

I am not sure I follow...the money is for fun expenditures and toyz, but I still want to spend my time in a manner that is most profitable.

How is working sales/commissions not the way to go? I work during the week M-F as a service manager for a large IT firm. That gives me weekends and evenings to go out and hit it.

Selling 1-2 life insurance policies a week would still net me $1500-$2000 in commissions even on term. What alternatives would you suggest that are better?

Anyone afraid of being confused with a "home invasion?" I'd think knocking on doors in 2017 would be a good way to get shot

That's why it's best to do it at 3 am. Plus then if anyone does happen to answer the door, their willpower is lower and they're more likely to impulse buy like the late night infomercials.

Back