New York Life, MM, Metlife, or MoO

looking for info on any of these companies. They all seem great but any Chicagoland area agents out there who can give me the goods and bads of each one. Any info is greatly appreciated. Also, which one offers the most extensive training?

(by the way I am aware there are tons of threads out there but I can't seem to find which one applies to the Midwest)

I was with NYL for several years. The agency I was with did constant training. They were great that way. I'm sure that it all comes down to the agency you sign with, so I would talk to a few of the agents in your area.

looking for info on any of these companies. They all seem great but any Chicagoland area agents out there who can give me the goods and bads of each one. Any info is greatly appreciated. Also, which one offers the most extensive training?

(by the way I am aware there are tons of threads out there but I can't seem to find which one applies to the Midwest)

They are all good and have different strengths, weaknesses, and markets. Go with the company that will offer you the best training and a mentor.

Why aren't you considering Northwestern Mutual? The agency in Chicago invented the One Card System. I'd consider them... if anything just for the training.

thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quick question Jake, why did you leave NYL if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I am going to call NM (not exactly sure what the onecard system is...sorry im still a newbie) but at first I didn't since the recruiter from NYL said they were basically the same thing.

The difficult part is that they all paint a very rosey picture of what they offer, just want to see if anyone has any first hand knowledge about the ups and downs. But i will take your advice and call a few agents hopefully they are honest with me.....

You need to talk to the newer agents at the offices. Try not to let the manager pick who you talk to there. Just remember, a person may be negative or positive about the office with reason, or without. Some people are permanently negative about life, or are career brown-nosers who want to impress the manager.

The One Card System is an activity management system used by numerous career shop agencies. Many Mass Mutual offices use a variation of it, and I would say most if not all NWM offices use it. You might see it in some NYL, Met, Pru, MoO, etc. offices as well. Basically it teaches you how to measure activity to help you meet your goals.

Finally, just because the NWM Chicago agency invented it, doesn't mean they still train as well as they use to train. You just have to feel them out and make your decision.

Insuranceguy1985: I left NYL because I wanted to work from home. I rented an office from them, and I couldn't get out of the lease. My manager talked 2 people out of picking up my lease and I got p-o'ed and left.
I can only tell you that they were a good company to work for .... BUT ..... the office that I was in did nothing for the agent to put him in front of prospects. The one question that I would ask ANY agency before I went captive is: What are you going to do for me to get me in front of clients. If all they are going to do is show & tell, ("we'll show you how, etc"), I'd check other options.

NYL has the best training. Was with another company for a year...switched. Covered everything and more I learned from 1 year with the other company in a week. Great support, training,

They do keep you a little more on a leash than some companies to start with, but it helps to keep you more focused so you don't PLAY your way out of the industy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Insuranceguy1985: The one question that I would ask ANY agency before I went captive is: What are you going to do for me to get me in front of clients. If all they are going to do is show & tell, ("we'll show you how, etc"), I'd check other options.

the company FIND clients for you? I've been with 5 (affliated with 3 at the same time) and none of them found me clients. One gave a leads sheet you called on. Not one put anyone in front of me though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Why aren't you considering Northwestern Mutual? The agency in Chicago invented the One Card System. I'd consider them... if anything just for the training.

I'd agree. At NYL the only other insurance company they ever mentioned as competition was Northwestern Mutual as even a worthy 'opponent'

Actually though I like what was recently said at one of our meetings...
"Your biggest competitor isn't going to be the internet, or even possibly another insurance company, but their want of a ski boat, or some scheduling conflict."

Last edited:
Their are 3 general agents in Chicago with Northwestern Mutual. I've met two of them, and both are fantastic. One is approaching retirement and the other runs the second largest agency in the country, which was the former Granum Agency. It still churns out MDRT producers like it's their job. PM me if you want more info.

Back