Review of Waiver of Premium Riders

"You certainly sound positive and forward looking. "

Very easily could have killed me. I feel fortunate to be here.

It's also fascinating as well. I watched the super infection leave my body to get away from the antibiotics. Like the movie "Alien" without the "hiss" and run across the room. I watched a mass of stuff force it's way out from under my skin and leave a dime sized hole that didn't bleed but you could see into the insides of my foot. Better that it left my body than worked it's way into my blood stream.

Also being in a wheelchair for a while was sort of a social experiment that ran about 50/50 in how people treated you. Some people were very helpful, while others pretended you weren't there. I am a tall guy, I am used to seeing over the tops of people. In a wheelchair all you see are butts. Lots of butts.

Still working on stamina and balance with my eyes closed. Looking into joining a gym and actually going in a few times a week to build endurance back up. Simple things like going to the grocery store, kick my butt a bit right now.

----------

And speak of the Devil......

Waiver of premium checks showed up today. Going back 11 months. I have to thank the claims rep at Unum for her help explaining this case to NYLs life department. This saved me from having to go back to the half dozen plus doctors that treated me over the past year to bug them to fill out new "old" paperwork for me.

They coordinated, NYL was a little slow but seemed to keep the 3 week lag in order. Never earlier, never later so once they figured it out, it moved along.

So my waiver of premium for my life, office overhead disability and individual disability REALLY helped a huge deal for me.

Again, I can't say it enough to my fellow agents out there, get your income protected while the definitions and cost still favor you. I had no idea what happened to me would turn out the way it did. It just did.

I would be singing a different tune had I not taken steps when I entered this business to protect my income. Never thought I would be off work for so much time.

Even if cover half your income or better yet, your bills, it is worth while to get some. This could have been devastating for me. It wasn't because I bought when I didn't need it, so when I needed it, it was there. You don't have to load it up with all the bells and whistles (although residual is important) or have it go to 65. Even a year or two years payout could work for you.

Please give it some thought. Cheers.

Back