Designations

AdvisorsIns

Guru
100+ Post Club
What is the best designation to go after in the P&C industry. We do 70% personal and 30% personal?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
70% personal 30% commercial.

Last edited:
There is no right answer to this question.

What are you focusing on?

CIC is very sales based, they focus on producing. ARM is more coverage based.

For me, the CIC was certainly worth it from a producing stand point.

The ARM from the folks I know that have it, said it helped but not stuff they use very often.

If you are focusing on producing I would go CIC.

I always chime in on these types of posts. Do not seek a designation if youexpect it to sell you more policies. Now if you honestly value the knowledge itteaches and can implement that, then that will get you more sales. Don't expecta fancy acronym to be recognized for what it is by consumers.

I earned my CPCU while working in commercial claims but on the sales side the CIC is much more useful. Only a handful of clients know what it means but it's respected within the insurance industry. Carrier contacts etc. and underwriters seem to like that I have it.

Maybe start with the CIC then do the CPCU down the road.

I think for me it is the additional knowledge that im interested in to better help my commercial clients and avoid mistakes.

I think for me it is the additional knowledge that im interested in to better help my commercial clients and avoid mistakes.

Don't forget as well, that carrier reps look fondly upon your having the CIC. It shows that you mean business and want to take your career to the next level.

I've done 2 CIC institutes so far and have met many influential people. The knowledge is great, the networking is great, and the potential to increase your agency footprint is great.

BTW: if you want to trade CIC books to prepare ahead of time, let me know. I've done the Agency Management and the Personal Lines Institutes. If anyone out there wants to trade either of those for the Commercial Casualty or Commercial Property books, let m know. Preparing ahead of time will save us all several long nights in the hotel room. ;)

Thank you. I think I am going to start the process when the next class is offered through my local iiabsc chapter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I think the next one is life and health in Oct.

Last edited:
Which education company would you all recommend to get the CIC designation?

Are there any online self paced courses?

Last edited:
Back