Home&Auto with Metlife Grand Protect

Many companies have multiple sales channels so I wouldn't say their new direct to consumer portal indicates conclusively moving away from agents. In order to be profitable you gotta play the game, and online is where the new generation of consumer is. What is the future 10 to 20 years from now? who knows? It's also my understanding that Met is investing millions revamping their agent portal to make it easier for agents to do business with them.

They are literally emailing current customers to get quotes from their direct company. It's not only about multiple sales channels for them..

Here's an idea, why not allow online quoting to produce a rate and have them directed to a local agent that can properly underwrite the risk to make sure nothing was missed and have that agent service the account?

I don't think they are completely getting away from the agent channel either but when the agent has to compete against the carrier for business are they really in a true partnership with them?

They are literally emailing current customers to get quotes from their direct company. It's not only about multiple sales channels for them..

Here's an idea, why not allow online quoting to produce a rate and have them directed to a local agent that can properly underwrite the risk to make sure nothing was missed and have that agent service the account?

I don't think they are completely getting away from the agent channel either but when the agent has to compete against the carrier for business are they really in a true partnership with them?

I'd have to look into that accusation and see if it's true and if so why. I doubt Met is doing anything underhanded or nefarious seeing as they're committed to the agent model. Some companies use these auxiliary channels or sister companies to maintain competitive business with certain risks or to split certain risk profiles from preferred business.

To your point I agree. Quoting online and sending to an agent would be ideal. House accounts just don't retain well. I've read statistics that show a 60% increase in retention when a client is assigned an agent.

Progressive has been doing B2C for years with progressive direct but agents are still writing Progressive. I get a lot of prospects frustrated with P-direct, wanting to switch just to get away regardless of rate. This could happen to Met Direct as well

As I said online B2C is a way to drive new business but a lousy way to retain it. Using Progressive as the example, they can maintain this successfully because they have the deep pockets and advertising dollars to keep the revolving door spinning.

But they've put themselves in a precarious position. Anytime you use "discounting" as your sales message it becomes like a drug addiction. You have to keep doing more of it because the withdrawal symptoms are too severe if you stop.

Last edited:
Hello,

Our agency write personal and commercial lines insurance in MN , WI, IA, AZ. We have not wrote anything with Metlife in years and I am wondering if anyone has had luck this year with writing their home and auto insurance. If so how competitive has it been compared to other companies and what state?

I’ve been selling Metlife in all 50 states and DC for several years. At some point I learned “good” and “bad” states. Out of the ones you listed... MN - not competitive at all. IA - hit or miss. AZ- auto is not competitive, Home is good for clients with good credit. WI - I loved selling WI policies with Met. Good credit is a plus, but sold plenty of average and bad credit as well in WI. My closing ratio for WI was extremely high. Plus I sold lots of random things for WI. ATVs, snowmobiles. Metlife is very competitive for ATVs in WI.

Back