Home Inspections

Joystickenvy

My parents recently purchased a 1992 mobile home in Arkansas. They had their previous home & autos insured by State Farm in Illinois.

They have been State Farm customers for 30 years and were very pleased with their agent in IL, but the agent they have tried to work with in AR has been a real disappointment so far.

He wants them to pay for inspections of the home. I have some insurance background.....most recently in auto claims and previously in p&c underwriting.

When I worked in underwriting we did sometimes order inspections, but the company paid for them.

Is it normal for State Farm to expect customers to pay for inspections or would it be worthwhile to try a different State Farm agent?

The inspections thing is not the only issue with this particular agent, just a factor in whether to try a different agent or move on to another company entirely.

Thanks

It depends on the company I think and the products are different from state to state, so what State Farm does in one state, they might not do in another. The agent won't likely be paying for it.

One of our companies in Florida will reimburse you half the cost of a sinkhole inspection if you bind a policy with them or something to that effect.

There might be one that covers a 4-point inspection.

Not a full home inspection I don't think. Those cost quite a bit I thought.

Honestly think about it. How many 21 yr old trailers have you come across that are in good to fair condition? Then add the lower premium that most mobile homes produce and remember how many years it would likely take to equal ANY type claim payout.

Oh I get that it's not an agent's wet dream on something to insure and honestly, I think the guy just doesn't want to write it, but wanted to keep the existing auto policies. If he had been straight up instead of jacking them around, they'd be more willing to work with him. Instead, he didn't return phone calls, didn't explain what he had done or was doing and only ever called when he found out they were planning to go elsewhere.

As it is, they found a new company that is offering similar rates on the auto policies and is willing to write the mobile home, so they are just gonna tell the State Farm guy to forget it.

I worked for a fair plan, so I've seen my share of mobile homes and I know many standard carriers are loathe to write them. I also know the knowledge level and professionalism of agents ranges from excellent to well not so very excellent and I suspect that particular State Farm guy is in the later category.

Back