Independent Agents (Years 1-2)

quotemachine

I am a new P&C agent. Only been in the game for 6 months. I've read a lot of great stuff from this forum and talked to a couple seasoned agents (who preach one thing but do another).

It would be helpful to hear from the successful and experienced independent agents who had success in their first 2 years. What did you do that set you apart? Was it cold calls, door knocking, flyers, buying Web leads, or creating relationships with mortgage lenders?

I do my cold calling in the evenings, I go visit mortgage companies in the afternoon and do my quotes in the mornings. My growth is painfully slow and I am dead broke. Is there a light at end of this tunnel?

I am a new P&C agent. Only been in the game for 6 months. I've read a lot of great stuff from this forum and talked to a couple seasoned agents (who preach one thing but do another). It would be helpful to hear from the successful and experienced independent agents who had success in their first 2 years. What did you do that set you apart? Was it cold calls, door knocking, flyers, buying Web leads, or creating relationships with mortgage lenders? I do my cold calling in the evenings, I go visit mortgage companies in the afternoon and do my quotes in the mornings. My growth is painfully slow and I am dead broke. Is there a light at end of this tunnel?

I think I can answer this for you... First, Where are you located, who are your carriers, what is your focus?

working referral sources should start paying off in 3-6 months. Are you a captive? If so just hang yourself now.

If you're an IA there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I think I can answer this for you... First, Where are you located, who are your carriers, what is your focus?

I am in Utah, I am independent and have 36 carriers to go through including two of the top Utah based Mutal carries in the state. State Farm, Farmers, and American Family have a hard time being competitive with the rates I can offer. So I guess where my question really lies is do I just cold call and knock doors until I have a solid base? Or is there a smarter approach for an independent with a strong but book of carriers?

----------

working referral sources should start paying off in 3-6 months. Are you a captive? If so just hang yourself now.

If you're an IA there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Not captive... American Family recruited me but I went out asking seasoned agents if that was the way to start. I'm sure you know my response that I got... I have appointments with the top carries in Utah not to mention SafeCo, Travelers, Met life, Progressive, and several more.

Was it cold calls, door knocking, flyers, buying Web leads, or creating relationships with mortgage lenders?

Yes and then some. Good call on going AI. Tough road in the beginning, but three - four years later, you will be thanking yourself for your hard efforts today.

Take your comment, " I am independent and have 36 carriers to go through including two of the top Utah based Mutal carries in the state. State Farm, Farmers, and American Family have a hard time being competitive with the rates I can offer"; - polish it, and get out of the office - see businesses. Everyone is a prospect that pays for insurance.

No secrets here. Get thru the first year, watch your budget, and get referrals from every sale.

Good Luck and good selling.

Dave

I assume you went through a cluster with that many carriers already. Honestly it's too many for me! If you did go through a cluster also sounds like they signed you up and left you? If it were me starting out again, I would call on the mortgage brokers and realtors in the mornings when they're just getting to work usually they get to work about 915-ish....oh wait, I still do this five years later.

Get online to got print.com and get an insane number of business cards real cheap. Then, get online and find A good deal on clear plastic business card holders. Then, use your printer and print labels to stick on to the business card holders with your name. Then, rubber band the business card holders and the cards together. Take the rubber band off as you handed to the mortgage brokers. Make a list of 100 mortgage brokers in your area and then call on them every four weeks for the next year.after you meet them, always follow up with an email or card in the mail.
Now you know the secret to my success. Sorry the grammar was not great-I'm doing speak to text at a red light.

Go see realtors on Sunday when they're at their open house.

I assume you went through a cluster with that many carriers already. Honestly it's too many for me! If you did go through a cluster also sounds like they signed you up and left you? If it were me starting out again, I would call on the mortgage brokers and realtors in the mornings when they're just getting to work usually they get to work about 915-ish....oh wait, I still do this five years later.

Get online to got print.com and get an insane number of business cards real cheap. Then, get online and find A good deal on clear plastic business card holders. Then, use your printer and print labels to stick on to the business card holders with your name. Then, rubber band the business card holders and the cards together. Take the rubber band off as you handed to the mortgage brokers. Make a list of 100 mortgage brokers in your area and then call on them every four weeks for the next year.after you meet them, always follow up with an email or card in the mail.
Now you know the secret to my success. Sorry the grammar was not great-I'm doing speak to text at a red light.

Go see realtors on Sunday when they're at their open house.

My brother purchased a book of business years ago that came with all of the appointments we have. Granted we have to many, but I certainly do not run a quote through them all.

A couple questions about your advice... the plastic card holders, do you use those to put a bunch of card in to give to lenders? It wasn't clear what that was for, to me. Also, when you contact these lenders and mortgage companies what is your approach? Considering that each office can have several (if not more) lenders and they seem to have the freedom to use any agent they want, especially if that agent writes that policy within the same day.

My brother purchased a book of business years ago that came with all of the appointments we have. Granted we have to many, but I certainly do not run a quote through them all. A couple questions about your advice... the plastic card holders, do you use those to put a bunch of card in to give to lenders? It wasn't clear what that was for, to me. Also, when you contact these lenders and mortgage companies what is your approach? Considering that each office can have several (if not more) lenders and they seem to have the freedom to use any agent they want, especially if that agent writes that policy within the same day.

Yes I put a bunch of cards in each plastic holder. That's why put a rubber band around them, but take the rubber band off before putting them in their hand or on their desk.

My approach-I just walk in. I never make an appointment. Well, I guess I only make appointments when I want to meet up for lunch.
I have a card designed especially for dropping off the mortgage brokers and realtors. It has the logo of my number one carrier. I found that that works better than the generic ABC agency card.
Then, I walk in shake their hand and ask them to get on their insurance referral list while I'm handing him my card holders. And I also grab their card.

After that, I walk to the office next-door to them knock on the door and do the same thing.

Once again I'm talking to text. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Back