Liberty /safeco Auto

bluelinebroker

Im captive right now but can sell progressive. I have done better with commercial with progressive. Farm Bureau is heavy hitter in my hometown. I saw where safeco blew out an auto qoute then business on client of mine. Wondering if I should look independant and best way to go if I do. Thanks

There's always going to be a cheaper price, somewhere. I wouldn't let one lost customer change your entire direction. Safeco is competitive but not the end-all. What company are you with? Is there some other reason(s) you're looking to change?

FWIW, I just left a captive agency and opened an Indy. My first bind looks like it will be happening today. Ironically, with Safeco. :D

Independent is always the best route if you can swing it. More choices = less headaches when the carriers to go wacko on you.

That's a really irresponsible and inaccurate generalization. Training, systems, platforms, support, billing, marketing, brand recognition, consistent underwriting and underwriting loyalty, bonus structure, etc. are all better with a high quality captive carrier.

The only real benefit to being an independent is flexibility and insulation against rate instability. There are many, many cons too though.

The biggest advantage of being an independent agent is probably that the agency owns the business, not the insurer.

The biggest advantage of being an independent agent is probably that the agency owns the business, not the insurer.

Pretty much the only reason i did what i did. That, and it will make me more money. To be fair, i wasnt the principal of the captive agency, but even if i were my % wouldn't have been as much as they are now.

Having access to 15-20 carriers vs 1 especially on commercial is very advantageous

Having access to 15-20 carriers vs 1 especially on commercial is very advantageous

Any good captive should still let you broker commercial business. Some will even let . you broker personal lines as well. But if the captive carrier doesnt have competitive markets in both personal and commercial it's a pointless endeavor. While this jenkins fellow is right that it was an overbroad generalization, sadly it appears he's drank the farmers kool aid. I hope, for his sake, that they continue to be good to him, and he has a plan to insulate against the downturn that will eventually hit.

Any good captive should still let you broker commercial business. Some will even let . you broker personal lines as well. But if the captive carrier doesnt have competitive markets in both personal and commercial it's a pointless endeavor. While this jenkins fellow is right that it was an overbroad generalization, sadly it appears he's drank the farmers kool aid. I hope, for his sake, that they continue to be good to him, and he has a plan to insulate against the downturn that will eventually hit.

No drinking of koolaid here. But, I get the best of both worlds. I get to broker out all the business Farmers either doesn't want, or isn't competitive with, and I get the brand recognition, systems, support and bonus structure that no independent will ever have.

I've already weathered a downturn, and it was doable, because of the flexibility I have with my contract with Farmers here in TX.

The Indy evangelists song and dance gets really old on these forums. They downplay the significant disadvantages of the Indy channel.

Back