Main Street America Vs. the Hartford

umyboyblue

Expert
Long boring story as to why I need to chose at this moment in time. Same production requirements. Need a reliable carrier for bops. Restaurants, Auto Repair, Convenient Stores, etc. Any opinions appreciated
I haven't bumped into MSA very much. Are their rates in line with everyone else?

In my area they are both very competetive at the same level and really depends on the individual risk. I have noticed that The Hartford tends to be a little better when it comes to contractors that do mostly commercial work and MSA is more competetive with smaller residential contractors. Both companies have great raymtes.

Hartford has really gotten strict here in middle Tennessee. No restaurants unless masonry non-combustible, no convenience stores, no garages. I usually use them on contractors, metal mfg, or small BOPS such as florists, lawyers etc.

In AZ, MSA would be a better fit for those markets. Hartford does not like the auto repair, MSA has a great rate there.

However, Hartford is much easier to quote, have underwritten and issued.

Dave

Thanks everyone!
Jlanier, is Travelers hardening up in Tennessee too? Someone was telling me that they canceled a 2 million dollar book there for lack of production.

Travelers is horrible right now. They're hounding me about production but don't want to write any commercial! I have fed them enough to keep them satisfied though. Their new auto product is tough but their home rates eliminate "bundling". The only time I can use them is in the middle-large market commercial.

Travelers is horrible right now. They're hounding me about production but don't want to write any commercial! I have fed them enough to keep them satisfied though. Their new auto product is tough but their home rates eliminate "bundling". The only time I can use them is in the middle-large market commercial.

I know we've detoured off the OP subject but I agree with this above, Travelers doesn't want anything right now. I wrote a few Dairy Queens with them this month but other than that and some mono-line WC they just don't want anything at all it seems like. Can't figure it out when they claim they are hungry for new business.

Seems like I read in an AM best magazine last month that Traveler's current CEO stated they were happy where they are in terms of size in America. He also went on to say that he would love to expand Travelers into India.

Back