P & C Agent Seeking Career Advice!

I would recommend working with an agency that has great processes, training opportunities, and a mentor. Trying to get into the business cold turkey is a bad move. On your own you should read business books, work on obtaining industry designations such as CIC, etc.. knowledge, and processes separates the pretenders, from the winners. Don't rush the process.

Getting into the industry is extremely frustrating...
...its almost like its setup so that the captives get first crack at all the new people because the small to midsize agencies arent setup (or just dont want to) train newbies.

I talked to someone that works for my states Independent Insurance Agent Assoc and he said its a problem they know they have....but just dont know how to fix.

They all need producers...but arent willing to train.

How come the Real Estate Industry has been able to handle this issue, but insurance hasnt?

Small to midsize agencies simply can't afford to pay newbies while they find their way the way captive carriers do. I'm in that boat. Trying to find a good producer. I wish I could afford to pay someone a salary for the next several months while they figure out the game, but if I did that, my cash reserves would be drained. Honestly from where I'm sitting, I need a producer to turn me a profit within 90 days, otherwise their salary eats me alive.

Small to midsize agencies simply can't afford to pay newbies while they find their way the way captive carriers do. I'm in that boat. Trying to find a good producer. I wish I could afford to pay someone a salary for the next several months while they figure out the game, but if I did that, my cash reserves would be drained. Honestly from where I'm sitting, I need a producer to turn me a profit within 90 days, otherwise their salary eats me alive.

im talking 1099 though.

wait...are people assuming I want a paycheck when im talking to them?
Ive been self employed pretty much my whole life, so I have a "eat what you kill" mentality.

Maybe I should bring this up from the beginning.
I just assumed in a sales position like insurance most people were 1099.

Start with learning how to prospect and generate leads.

If you can produce 5-10 leads a day consistently, you won't have a problem with no one wanting to hire and train you.

Back