Producer Puzzling Me

MrGolf

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
So I've got this commercial producer who is puzzling me all of a sudden. She's a young girl that is smart, ambitous, hard-working; basically all of the stuff you want. She is something of a hybrid between helping with CSR duties and producing, but works primarily under me and has free reign to be out prospecting/producing at her will. I think she has great long term potential.

For disclosure she is paid as an hourly employee plus 50% commission on new business and renewal.

Now to the crux of the matter. After taking her lumps last year I kept her confidence up by telling her the usual stuff; don't get down, get x-dates, hear a lot of no before a yes, etc. She never gave up and I've got great faith in her. Was absolutely relentless about chasing people down. At times I thought she must be the most positive person I've ever met to hear no that much and keep rolling... The last couple of months though she really started hitting stride. Landing really nice accounts and reaping the rewards, getting referrals and really rolling. Now, she's went dead on me. I would have thought the success would keep her going. Now she seems distracted and not as aggressive. A total 180. The fire seems to be gone and I'm puzzled??

Any thoughts from you guys and gals out there??

So I've got this commercial producer who is puzzling me all of a sudden. She's a young girl that is smart, ambitous, hard-working; basically all of the stuff you want. She is something of a hybrid between helping with CSR duties and producing, but works primarily under me and has free reign to be out prospecting/producing at her will. I think she has great long term potential.

For disclosure she is paid as an hourly employee plus 50% commission on new business and renewal.

Now to the crux of the matter. After taking her lumps last year I kept her confidence up by telling her the usual stuff; don't get down, get x-dates, hear a lot of no before a yes, etc. She never gave up and I've got great faith in her. Was absolutely relentless about chasing people down. At times I thought she must be the most positive person I've ever met to hear no that much and keep rolling... The last couple of months though she really started hitting stride. Landing really nice accounts and reaping the rewards, getting referrals and really rolling. Now, she's went dead on me. I would have thought the success would keep her going. Now she seems distracted and not as aggressive. A total 180. The fire seems to be gone and I'm puzzled??

Have a sit down and make sure something else is not going wrong in her life.

I know a lot of mortgage branch managers who have LO's who will produce a bunch then go dead for a few weeks. Maybe she made what she believes is "alot of money" on recent sales & figures screw it for awhile?

Or...something in her personal life.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't something in her personal life.

I would go with personal life too, based on what you wrote. Sit down with her, if it is personal, give her a couple days off with pay if you want to be nice.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess now that I look at it from a different angle it possibly could be her personal life. I know she recently went through a breakup of a fairly serious relationship, although I think it was several months ago.

Anyways, thanks for all the insight. Sometimes it takes looking at it from a non-business angle to see it I suppose.

Here's to hoping it is just a phase and she keeps beating the block. My bank account is hoping so anyways!! :D

How can you afford to pay a salary and 50/50 commission? Those numbers can't possibly work out? With E&O, office space, supplies, how do you make any money off of her?

Back